11 Replies Latest reply on Aug 3, 2012 11:04 AM by Jerry Steiger

Sketchual orientation - Let me decide.

Mike Aaskov

When I create a sketch, SW automatically decides what is vertical & horizontal. Is there ANY WAY a sketch can be set up to allow me to decide what is “vertical” & "horizontal"?

Pro|E has had this capability forever. Come on SW, this is just embarssing...

Thanks!

Mike

• Re: Sketchual orientation - Let me decide.
          Alin Vargatu

Mike Aaskov wrote:

When I create a sketch, SW automatically decides what is vertical & horizontal. Is there ANY WAY a sketch can be set up to allow me to decide what is “vertical” & "horizontal"?

Pro|E has had this capability forever. Come on SW, this is just embarssing...

Thanks!

Mike

SolidWorks has also had this capability for a long time.

Read the help file:

http://help.solidworks.com/2012/English/solidworks/sldworks/hidd_modify_sketch.htm

Mike Aaskov

Hi Alin,

Thanks for the tip. Unfortunately, I've looked into this before and as far as I can tell, it's not really what I'm driving at. Let me try to explain:

If I have an existing model or imported geometry, whatever - when I start a sketch I want the ability to click on a edge, axis, curve or line (or create one) and assign that vector as a reference and say "This vector is horizontal (or vertical)" - at which point the ENTIRE MODEL view rotates to accommodate my request in that particular sketch. Now the model view in that sketch is represented just as it is in the 2D artwork I'm trying to bring to life in 3D, or just oriented so that I'm not looking at the model upside down for crying out loud.

To me, this is a fundamentally important part of transitioning 2D design intent into a 3D model.

Am I making any sense? Or do I just sound like a raving lunatic? Haha.

Thanks again for the help,

Mike

Alin Vargatu

Mike, let's see if I understand correctly.

1. You import a model in SolidWorks. I am going to assume that you know how to re-define the orientation of the model in the SolidWorks part environment.

2. You open a sketch. Select an existing edge/axis and declare it as the vertical or horizontal direction.

Question: is the new direction local to that sketch or it re-orients the whole model?

Mike Aaskov

1. This doesn't apply only to imported data - this goes for ALL models, native or otherwise. But yes, I can orient my model to jive with the SW part environment (i.e. - front is front, top is top, etc.)

2. This new direction is indeed only local to the orientation of that particular sketch. It does not influence any other features or reference geometry in the model.

Think of it like this - If I emailed you a photograph of the ocean, you would probably want the horizon to be horizontal, right? And every time you opened the photo you'd want it to come to that same view. That's all I'm asking for here - the ability to orient the sketch so that it appears the way it looks in my head (or on the artwork in front of me)

Mike

Roland Schwarz

This is what is known in the industry as a "shortcoming".

Bernie Daraz

I would look at the possibility of a macro in accordance with Alin's suggestion to solve this issue for you. You're the first that has mentioned it to my knowledge. It may not be considered by SW as a stand alone tool due to the lack of demand.

In the meantime, can you rotate your screen 90 degrees? LOL! What can I say, it's Friday!

Alin Vargatu

Thanks for the clarification, Mike. You might want to vote on this ER:

SPR 660407: Improve ' normal to ' view orientation command to allow reference planes, linear edges, sketch lines, axes, an axis , etc to define the vertical or up direction

Mike Aaskov

Thank you, Alin. This ER sounds EXACTLY like what I'm looking for.

*As a side note: This "Enhancment Request" is certainly someting that PTC never seemed to offer.

I think they only offered a GPS (Go Pound Sand) program. Haha!

Have a great friday!

Mike

Jerry Steiger

Mike,

I hate to say it, but there isn't a whole lot of difference between the Enhancement Request program in SolidWorks and the Go Pound Sand program in PTC. Even though I also suggest that people turn in Enhancement Requests, the odds of one getting implemented seem to be very, very small, probably because so many people have so many different ideas of what needs enhancing. The best hope is to get your ER in the Top 10 for SolidWorks World. That gives it a strong leg up on the competition.

Jerry Steiger