4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 23, 2012 1:04 PM by Pat Jorgensen

Transferring holes from one curved surface to another

Pat Jorgensen

I had someone ask me a question about how to transfer a hole pattern from one curved surface to another.

The situation consists of two separate parts.

The first part is a square shape that has a circular cutout on one side with a flange that contains holes.

The second part is just a round pipe, and the intent is to bolt the square shape to the round pipe via the flange on the square shape.

The holes need to be transferred from the flange on the square shape to the round pipe.

Does this need to happen in an assembly, or is there a way to transfer hole patterns between to separate round surfaces of two separate parts?

Thanks

• Re: Transferring holes from one curved surface to another
          Ajay Dhiman

Hi Pat,

It can be done in many ways..depend upon you design indent.

If your Holes pattern never change only number of holes change, I recommend you to use equations to control that after making one time ,so whenever number of hole change in parent part it reflects in child part.

Or in other case if Hole number pattern always same You can use here "top down concept" Edit your Child part in assembly and take reference of the pattern (Parent part) to build the same in child part with he help of convert entities.It will reflect the change in Dimension or size.But not in Number of Holes.This you have to take care on every change.

Hope this helps...

AD

Kelvin Lamport

So the pipe will sit inside the circular flange of the first part?

And the holes are radially spaced & pointing toward the centre of the pipe?

How did you create the hole pattern in the first part?

Pat Jorgensen

I did not create the part originally, but apparently the holes were laid out on a plane and extruded through the curved surface.

Regardless of how the holes were originally laid out, I guess the question is how should it be done.

Let me simplify the problem.

Lets say you have Pipe #1, and it has holes in it that were added via the hole wizard, so that all the holes are perpendicular to the curved surface, regardless of where the hole is.

Now slide Pipe #1 into Pipe #2, in a telescoping fashion.

How do I transfer the holes from Pipe #1 to Pipe #2, assuming that Pipe#1 and Pipe #2 are two separate part files?

I think one of the answers already posted is to use the same method to lay out the holes in Pipe #2 as was used in Pipe #1, or even use equations.

I guess the question starts to boil down to "how do I control exactly where the hole wizard puts holes in a curved 3D surface"?