4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 20, 2012 7:05 PM by Anna Wood

How do you or, do you re-organize your installation folders?

Robert Stemen

I just did a clean install of SW 2012 on my Windows 7 system and I've got SW files in the following folders...

C: Program Files

C: Program Files (x86)

C: Program Data

C: Solidwoks Data

Why does SW install spread everything out in so many different folders? 

Couldn't the TWO files in the Solidworks Data folder be in the Program Data folder?

What is the difference between the Program Files folders and the Program Data folders?  Can they be combined?

It seems there are similar types of files (and/or data) in these folders.  For example, the design library is in the Program Data folder.  Shouldn't this be in the Program Files folder with the other custom files like blocks and weldment profiles?

I just want to backup the folders in which I may have added custom parts, custom profiles, custom blocks, custom templates, etc.  These seem to be spread out all over the place and to get everything, I'm going to end up, backing up files that I don't need backed up.  I want a clean and simple backup.  I just lost a bunch of design library files because they were off in a completely seperate folder that was hidden. 

Which folders do YOU back up?

And, a little off topic... What does the SWBrowser.MDB file do?  The SWBrowser file is in a folder, deep within the C:Solidworks Data folder.  It's one of two files in that string of folders.

Thanks

Robert

• Re: How do you or, do you re-organize your installation folders?
          Anna Wood

The SWBrowser.MDB file is the Microsoft Access database that drives Hole Wizard and Toolbox.

Check out System Options > HoleWizard/Toolbox and you will see the path defined to C:\SolidWorks Data so SolidWorks can find that file.

Cheers,

Anna

Robert Stemen

Thanks Anna,

I'd like to combine that file and those folders into the Program Data folder and then delete the Solidworks Data folder.  I will redefine the path so SW can find it. 

Do you know if SW needs the Solidworks Data folder for anything else?

Robert

John Burrill

As Anna said, Solidworks data is used by the toolbox add-in for releases before 2012 and is also used by the hole-wizard database.  Almost all-if not all of that is pathed in the Solidworks Options Dialog box under system options.  The toolbox library folder is specified on it's own panel in system options.  The other support files are specified in the file-locations panel.  If you can get everything into that program data folder and repath those directories, Solidworks should still work normally.

FYI, the reason program data was split off from program files is to support user permissions on the program files subfolder while allowing volatile support files to update.  The files in Program files (x86) are 32bit and include msoffice, pdmworks admin and other program files not compiled for 64bit.

Anna Wood

The only file you can move and path to is the SWBrowser.MDB file.

The other program folders you need to keep as is.  Otherwise you will destroy your SolidWorks install.

You can move all your custom bits to where ever you wish and path accordingly under System Options > File Locations.  You do not want to move the other standard SW items.  Just your custom files.

Cheers,

Anna