3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 23, 2012 4:30 AM by Tim Read

File References

Aric Tibbitts

Whats the deal with file references.

I have this large assembly which I like to work on today. I did a check-out on the assembly and it just sits there updating file references.

When I cancel it says my assembly is checked out.

When I open it in solidworks the first time it doesn't open and the second time it says its read-only.

We did a reboot to the EPDM server and its still acting flaky.

Suggestions?

• Re: File References
          Gary Radish

Do you verify that the EPDM Add-in is loaded

Aric Tibbitts

Our VAR recommended running some pings of the servers.

We have a remote server that has the vault and a local server that archives files.

They recommended running a ping command to see the response times.

ping (servername)-t -l 1430

I haven't see anylost data but after we reboot both servers.  Things seem to be chugging along again.

Tim Read

So....

You were checking out the Assembly file and when EPDM was updating the file references - probably due to files being renamed / moved in the vault - you hit 'Cancel'.

What did you expect to happen? I would expect when you hit 'Cancel' is that the files are NOT checked-out...

What I suspect happened is that not all References in the files will have been updated and that the final action of the check-out (remove Read-Only) did not occur.

So, why would this have happened?  Maybe you have some files locally cached that were not checked out AND had the read-only flag off? This can happen if the file is 'locked' (open in Solidworks) and you attempt to 'Get Version' using EPDM in Windows Explorer. When a file is not checked-out but IS writeable then EPDM requires you to confirm overwriting that file - did the dialog box get lost behind a window?

Unfortunately, clearing the local cache does not 'fix' these files... try 'Get Latest Version' and only overwrite files that you DO NOT have checked out.

I hope you can find the cause - good luck!

Tim