Charles Culp

What's changed?

CATI's Bob McGaughey made a video:

http://blog.cati.com/2012/07/solidworks-95-vs-solidworks-2012.html

• Re: SolidWorks 2012 vs SolidWorks '95
          Craig Siebert

Charles,

Great find man!

Some guy named BOB felt compelled to make a video of this?  UGH!

Kind of neat to see how far they have come, but I want my 8 minutes and 9 seconds back.

I would have rather watched a video of how parts were drawn using pencils and erasers.

I sure hope he didn't make this video on company time......

What hasn't changed is just as significant. SolidWorks 95 had no direct modeling tools. SolidWorks 2012 still has no direct modeling tools. My bet is that SolidWorks 2013 won't either. Move Face is not a direct modeling tool.

Wish SolidWorks would have addressed this issue many years ago like everyone one else has begun to. Seems like legacy SolidWorks will never get the direct modeling tools that SolidWorks V6 will most certainly have.

Jon Banquer

San Diego, CA

http://cadcamtechnologyleaders.blogspot.com/

Lenny Bucholz

Jon Banquer wrote:

Move Face is not a direct modeling tool. 

Jon Banquer

San Diego, CA

http://cadcamtechnologyleaders.blogspot.com/

John,

Yes it's the same function that direct modeling uses, it just makes a editable feature in the tree that keeps a number to it for easy changes, thats all.

Bernie Daraz

Did any circa 1995 software tools have direct editing? When did they come about, as this sounds interesting.

Lenny,

Direct modeling functions don't create a result that resides in a history tree like SolidWorks Move Face does.

SolidWorks Move Face isn't a direct modeling tool.

SolidWorks has no direct modeling tools. Solid Edge ST, IronCAD, etc. do

Jon Banquer

San Diego, CA

CADCAM Technology Leaders group on LinkedIn

Ryan McVay

This hurts....I have to agree with Jon on this.

I'm basing my agreement using the following definition, by Kubotek, for Direct Modeling.

"Direct modeling represents an entirely different approach in which the geometry is directly created as features or individual operations without a network of constraints between features and without reference to the history of the creation process. This approach is actually similar to the original CAD technology that existed prior to the rise of parametric CAD." Kubotek, Direct Modeling 101, accessed from www.kubotekusa.com on July 20, 2012.

I'm using this definition because I find it to be the simpliest to understand and not as a sales or marketing tool for Kubotek!!

Lenny Bucholz

John

works exactly the same a push and pull a face in the others, any adjoining face moves with it, it's how the parasolid kernal works.

that is why I said same funtion as direct, SW just puts a feature to it.

So what, it's better than not having, now isn't it!

hell you can even delete and patch faces the as the others do, but I will agree needs work, history gets in the way.

and you know whats better than direct, since it is history I can always bring it back after the file has been saved, closed and not opened for weeks!!!

lets seen once gone in direct always gone, so sad to bad, I just suppress and it's back, just depends on the users needs.

SolidWorks Move Face isn't a direct modeling tool. Direct modeling tools don't make changes to a history tree.

SolidWorks V6 will contain the needed direct modeling tools that legacy SolidWorks doesn't have and probably will never have.

Jon Banquer

San Diego, CA

Alin Vargatu

Jon read again Lenny's post. The fact that you get a feature in the tree is a bonus.

It's not a bonus. It's a serious draw back. Suggest both of you learn what direct modeling tools are, how they work and why they don't make changes to a history tree.

Jon Banquer

San Diego, CA

Alin Vargatu

Thanks Jon. I would appreciate if you would take the time to provide the answers.

The fact that 2 commands produce the same results, but one completely wipes out the feature tree while the other one adds an editable feature in the same tree... and you call one "direct modeling" just because breaks all the links to the history... and furthermore you see that as a merit... ?!?

Ryan McVay

!!HISTORY-FREE DOES NOT MEAN FEATURE-FREE!!

I think we have a confusion of terms which people are trying to marry together but should be consider two independent terms.

Direct Modeling is just that. Creating a set of faces that represent a "feature" and placing them on a model to complete a b-rep model. No history- no constraints. Don't read anything more into the term "direct modeling" because that is it!

Now, Synchronous Technology (ST) is a different animal and is actually a technology or modeling engine and this is were people get confused. It's a technology and engine!

Here's what I mean. You may or may not know this but Sold Edge is NOT the only software using ST. NX uses this technology as well. Remember technology. Think of a Prius (part electric/ part gas) Here's how NX has implemented ST in Design Freedom- which is very similar to the way Solid Edge works!

This is a 5MB PowerPoint Presentation given back in May, 2008. It is 4 years old and ST is more mature but this does a fairly decent job of covering how Synchronous technology is used and what it can do.

The only reason for this posting is to help alleviate some of the bashing, mis-information and mis-understanding of ST as a technology and how it is being used!

A qoute from one of the slides:

"This new approach to modeling instantaneously synchronizes engineering relationships, features, and parameters through a more direct interaction paradigm. The result is a design methodology without limitations."

No where did you read words about deleting all parameters and removing history trees!!

Quote:

Q: Are we forcing our customers to learn a new approach?

A: No, with NX we are continuing to develop the best of both worlds we see customers where parametric modeling is a key part of their process, we also see customers who do not worry about history, NX delivers best of both approaches" AND so do Solid Edge.

NEWLY ADDED: Don't forget ST is a technology, Synchronous MODE is a feature Sub-Set just like History-MODE. Don't confuse Synchronous MODE with Synchronous Technolog!!!

• This reply has been hidden. This can happen if the message has been hidden by a moderator, or has been reported as abusive.
                                                    Lenny Bucholz

Jon Banquer wrote:

They don't produced the same results, Alin. SolidWorks Move Face produces a result that's dependant on other features in the history tree. Direct modeling has no such limitation. There are many advantages (disadvantages) to removing the dependencies that SolidWorks Move Face requires and that direct modeling doesn't require.

Jon Banquer

San Diego, CA

Ah Jon do have to explain again.....

I have an import, no SW features in the file just a solid and its faces, use the move face and the adjoining faces move with the one I picked.

direct edit baby at its finest.

add the bonus! anyone at any time can go back in time and see the original because there is the history of how it was done.

"direct edit baby at its finest."

It's not direct editing because SolidWorks Move Face creates dependencies in a history tree.

Direct editing dosen't create dependencies. Direct editing doesn't use or need a history tree.

Jon Banquer

San Diego, CA

Alin Vargatu

Jon Banquer wrote:

Direct editing dosen't create dependencies. Direct editing doesn't use or need a history tree.

Thanks for the explanation Jon. So if you do a modification, save the file and exit without keeping a back-up and next day you want to go back because you changed your mind, would you have a bit of a problem? I am just thinking of a complex boundary operation (let's not call it feature). Can you easily delete the result of such a command and revert to where you were before?

Alin, how you work with geometry is different in every direct modeler. Some direct modelers have "rules" that you can apply so the geometry will react like you want it to. These "rules" can be saved. You can also apply dimensions and variable formulas that can be saved to automate how you want your model to update.

If what you mean by boundary is surfacing then there is still a ton of work to be done in this area of direct modeling. Siemens has stated this is a focus for them in the next release of SE ST. How far they will get and how much progress they will make is anyone's guess. This would be one area that history based modeling is a better tool to use for some. Each approach (direct and history based) has advantages and disadvantages at this point in time. To think that one approach to modeling can get the job done efficiently isn't a realistic approach in my opinion. PTC has admitted as much even though it took them many years and purchasing CoCreate to own up to the fact that the history only approach to modeling is very badly flawed.

Jon Banquer

San Diego, CA

Alin Vargatu

Again, many thanks for the information, Jon!

I guess, with my limited exposure to direct modeling, I would like very much to be able to use direct modeling tools in conjunction with parametric history features. Pretty much like the move/delete face works now in SW, but with an even much more enhanced scope and workflows. I want to be able to control at any given moment the whole history of my models, including in-context relations.

I know, you will tell me that if such an "instruction" appears in the tree, that automatically disqualifies the program from calling itself a direct modeler. Making abstraction of this narrow definition, being able to modify any type of model, irrespective from the means it was created (dumb solid or history based) it is direct modeling in my book. The fact that your "instructions" are registered and can be edited at any time it is a big bonus. The fact that I can remove at any time the effect of any direct editing "instruction" by simply deleting a feature from the tree is extremely important!

"I would like very much to be able to use direct modeling tools in conjunction with parametric history features."

You continue to ignore the bottlenecks and the real solutions that remove them.

http://www.cloud-invent.com/Parametric-CAD/Bottleneck1.aspx

http://www.cloud-invent.com/Parametric-CAD/Bottleneck2.aspx

SolidWorks Move Face compounds the problems with history based modeling and unfortunatly it's little more than a Band-Aid that doesn't work as well as real direct modeling tools.

"I know, you will tell me that if such an "instruction" appears in the tree, that automatically disqualifies the program from calling itself a direct modeler."

It's the wrong approach to use until that problems that have existed since history based modeling was introduced are dealt with and finally solved.

http://www.cloud-invent.com/Parametric-CAD/Bottleneck2.aspx

"The principal limitation of the parametric feature-based approach is the lack of simple instruments to modify interactively a model once it has been created."

"If both parametric feature-based and direct-modeling approaches have their advantages (and their drawbacks) why not to merge their best characteristics  in one system (and throw away their drawbacks)?"

Jon Banquer

San Diego, CA

Alin Vargatu

Thanks one more time Jon. I still do not understand why you see the separation between history and direct modeling tools as a good thing.

You just stated that "is not going to happen". I was under the impression that you were interested in putting together a wish list for an ideal 3D modeler.

Well, my wish list contains the need for not breaking the link between sketch based features and direct editing tools (like a mythical move face on steroids). It is a wish and I really hope it will happen. I do not care what bottlenecks are there. I am a user, not a developer! One thing that separates my favorite CAD software from the rest of the pack, is the fact that it is being driven by its users. Its software developers stated from the begining that they do not want to force the users to work in a specific way, but are very much interested in how the users say they need to use it. In other words, the user should not be forced to follow rigid workflows designed by a programmer, but the programmer will design the software as per the user needs.

You need to modify existing geometry and that is probably because you are a CAM guy. I am a CAD guy, therefore I need both tools - for creating geometry and for modifying it. I do not see these as separate things.

Feel free to use software solutions that are very good at only modifying geometry on the fly. I have no problems with that. Anyone is entitled to choose the tools he or she will use.

"I still do not understand why you see the separation between the tree and the direct modeling tools as a good thing."

Without seperation you introduce needless bottlenecks clearly explained in detail in the links I provided you above.

"You just stated that "is not going to happen". I was under the impression that you were interested in putting together a wish list for an ideal 3D modeler."

I'm interested in removing the bottlenecks clearly explained in the links I posted.

I'm also interested in a CAD system that will allow a CAM vendor to create their own CAM Assembly rather than ride on top of a SolidWorks Assembly file. Legacy code SolidWorks doesn't allow this and it severely hampers the kind of proper CADCAM integration where one company makes both the CAD and the CAM.

Jon Banquer

San Diego, CA

Alin Vargatu

What is a CAM assembly?

A CAM Assembly file is a type of Assembly file. A CAM Assembly file is created by true fully integrated CADCAM programs like TopSolid, NX and what use to be VX and is now is called ZW3D. All the CAM that's available that runs inside of SolidWorks is not able to create its own Assembly file and instead rides on top of a SolidWorks Assembly file. This causes all sorts of problems and severely limits true CADCAM integration.

CAM that runs inside of SolidWorks has many parts that aren't like using SolidWorks at all and are unique to each CAM system that runs inside of  SolidWorks. How you set up work coordinate systems, how you copy and paste machining operations, how you define and manage stock, etc. The sad FACT is that every CAM system that runs inside of SolidWorks has  created their own unique (and often bizarre) ways to manage these tasks. Most CAM vendors who run inside of SolidWorks do their level best to hide the exact details of how these parts of their CAM program work because it contradicts their claim that running their CAM inside of SolidWorks is just like the SolidWorks experience. This is  especially true when you are dealing with an Assembly approaches to machining multiple different parts

The only true fully integrated CADCAM that I've ever seen is when one vendor creates both the CAD and the CAM programs. This makes a huge difference because then the CADCAM vendor can create unique Assembly type files for CAM and for Stock that act just like their regular Assembly files. No CAM  program I've even seen that runs inside SolidWorks creates its own unique Assembly type files for CAM and for Stock and instead what they appear to do is run on top of the SolidWorks Assembly file. When this  happens the CAD and CAM integration is severely disrupted!

Creating CAM programs for multiple different parts really taxes the capabilities  of a CAM system running inside of SolidWorks and nowhere is this more evident than when you are trying to do serious production machining on tombstones or where you wish to program multiple setups for multiple different parts and machine them all at once. While the tools you get with a CAM system that runs inside of SolidWorks are much better than  legacy code CAM systems like Mastercam, Surfcam, FeatureCAM, Gibbscam,  etc. they still aren't anywhere near ideal or good enough compared to  what I've seen in CADCAM systems where one vendor is creating both the CAD and the CAM parts of the program.

Jon Banquer

San Diego, CA

Alin Vargatu

Thanks Jon. As you can probably imagine I understood very little from what you just wrote, but I respect your needs as a CAM guru.

Please respect my needs as a CAD guy.

Alin, I do as much CAD work as I do CAM.

History based modeling has been over-hyped and has under performed in the real world.

It's long past time for some real innovation in CAD. What we have had for years now are mediocre CAD releases containing very little in the way of serious innovation.

It's also time for more CAD solutions designed with manufacturing as the end result rather than design as the end result.

Jon Banquer

San Diego, CA

Alin Vargatu

Thanks Jon. I have a feeling we are talking about different things. You have general wishes, I have specific ones.

I truly hope that your wishes will be fulfilled, as long as mine will not be disregarded.

I need a recipe in my models and I do not mind you getting as much new direct modeling tools as you want. But don't throw away my recipe!

Have a good night.

"I truly hope that your wishes will be fulfilled, as long as mine will not be disregarded."

I seriously doubt your wishes will ever get fulfilled in legacy code SolidWorks. Time will tell if they are fulfilled in SolidWorks V6.

"I need a recipe for my models and I do not mind you getting as much new direct modeling tools as you want. But don't throw away my recipe!"

You don't need a history tree to create a recipe. As I stated earlier:

"Some direct modelers have "rules" that you can apply so the geometry will react like you want it to. These "rules" can be saved. You can also apply dimensions and variable formulas that can be saved to automate how you want your model to update." .... and it can all be done without a history tree and all the problems a history tree creates.

Jon Banquer

San Diego, CA

Ryan McVay

blah, blah, blah

C'mon Jon how many times are you going to post this article?! Keep to the topic at hand.

Jeff Holliday

I may not be as technically savvy as you seem to be, Jon. I think I can see how "direct modeling" may be a help to a free-thinker without worrying about outside influences. In designing a complete product, outside influences should certainly be taken into account. For me, the History-tree provides a functional framework which can be utilized to change/control geometry in a meaningful way. There are certainly many varied ways to be creative. All any of us can do is use the tool we feel gives us the best overall results. Sales professionals have the job of convincing us that something else is better for us.

Jeff,

Time has shown that one approach to modeling (history tree) doesn't work well in the real world.

Why not provide both history based and direct modeling tools or make direct modeling powerful enought so history based modeling isn't needed at all?

Think the problem has a good deal to do with that fact that SolidWorks licenses much of their core technology. All the other major CAD vendors have their own.

Jon Banquer

San Diego, CA

John Burrill

Thanks Charles.  That was enjoyable.  I remember seeing a demo of Solidworks 95 (didn't start using it until 99) and I was still really impressed with how much you could do especially compared to AutoCAD.  One of the parts the AE showed in the demo was a motor-boat prop-very impressive considering they didn't have a 3D sketcher at the time

Ryan McVay

Yes, it was nice to see how far we really haven't moved. It appears we have just better graphics, on-the-spot graphics and quicker access to "hidden" parameters and options. Functionality is still pretty much unchanged Create 2D sketch and act upon sketch...which really is what you would expect to see. You can only improve the "process" to access functions to shorten design time. You still haven't change the design paradigm.

On the other side of the coin we now see a suite of products that enable the full design life cycle -thanks to 3rd-party partners.

"Yes, it was nice to see how far we really haven't moved. It appears we have just better graphics, on-the-spot graphics and quicker access to "hidden" parameters and options. Functionality is still pretty much unchanged Create 2D sketch and act upon sketch...which really is what you would expect to see. You can only improve the "process" to access functions to shorten design time. You still haven't change the design paradigm."

Agree.

What does change the "design paradigm" is Live Rules AND the new Solutions Manager which should have been in release one rather than taking five releases to finally appear.

What was a half baked solution is now a complete solution and a serious threat to the status quo.

Jon Banquer

San Diego, CA

David Paulson

"Yes, it was nice to see how far we really haven't moved. It appears we have just better graphics, on-the-spot graphics and quicker access to "hidden" parameters and options. Functionality is still pretty much unchanged Create 2D sketch and act upon sketch...which really is what you would expect to see. You can only improve the "process" to access functions to shorten design time. You still haven't change the design paradigm."

And for all of the faithful souls who have been on subscription service since 1995, their cost for progress has been $1,800 per year x 17 years = $30,600.00  Probably just makes sense to buy a new SW license every 5 years..................but only if the changes in five years are compelling.

Lenny Bucholz

David Paulson wrote:

And for all of the faithful souls who have been on subscription service since 1995, their cost for progress has been $1,800 per year x 17 years = $30,600.00  Probably just makes sense to buy a new SW license every 5 years..................but only if the changes in five years are compelling.

not true you could have waited 17 yrs and only paid the $1800 + $500 penalty and gotten SW2012 for $2300, unlike the others that would have charge for missed years.

• This reply has been hidden. This can happen if the message has been hidden by a moderator, or has been reported as abusive.
                                                                              Kevin De Smet

Talk about a fun thread, ruined by hijack.

Richard Doyle

Since this thread has gone a little off topic, I'm going to lock it until it Monday.

Richard

Richard Doyle

Hi Everyone,

After a thorough review of this thread, I have decided to keep it locked as an example and reminder of what happens when a discussion gets hijacked and goes so far off topic.  We like to encourage healthy debate, and we appreciate constructive criticism, but simply repeating the same things over and over does not lend anything to a conversation and encourages rebuttal that again was not part of the original discussion.

The SolidWorks forums are intended to be a peer-to-peer resource for helping each other, and for information related to SolidWorks software.  Comparisons to other products are usually tolerated, but will sometimes be deemed as unnecessary or even so far off topic that they can and will be deleted.

Thank you for your understanding, and let’s all strive to stay on topic and keep helping each other out here.

Richard