5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 18, 2012 3:19 PM by Chris Michalski

Particle Study Statistics

Kelly Chandler

Is there a way to determine which "opening" is the fate of particles in the particle study statistics?  I'm interested in seeing what % of particles ends up at exits in a system with one entrance but multiple exits.

Thanks,

Kelly

• Re: Particle Study Statistics
          Chris Michalski

Kelly - have you tried saving the particle trajectory data to excel?  IIRC you can have it save x,y,z locations so you'd could group them together and find the % from that (provided you have enough data points to be confident in the distribution).

Kelly Chandler

Chris-that worked.  Thanks for the help.  Any ideas about how to only get the last x,y,z location?  That would help with being able to have enough data points to ensure a good distribution.

Thanks!

Chris Michalski

Kelly -

after you run the particle study, if you click on Summary it shows the list of particle ending points, distance traveled, and if they stopped due to maximum distance or absorbed into a surface.

The only thing I could find to do, is Ctrl-C and then paste it into Excel - you'll still have to separate them into XYZ (i.e. delete extra rows, save as text, import with colon separated vaues).  But at least it gives you only 1 row per particle

Kelly Chandler

Chris,

I do that and it appears to work but I'm thinking that the XYZ values are actually values at the injection.  I am looking under the "statistics" for the particle study.  I don't see a "Summary" option.

Chris Michalski

you're right, looking at the summary, it appears they are listing the starting point of each injection trace, I assumed it was the end point.

The only other option I see is the uber labor intensive route: RMB Particle Study -> View Results -> Create Curves

This converts each path into a curve then you could manually query the end of the curve and create x,y,z data points to run statistics on.

Or if you're more advanced there is likely a way to write a script to grab the last point and toss it into Excel.  Sorry, I'm not that advanced so I can't help you there.  I've been trying to do something similar for a purely graphical representation and I'm not having any luck there either.