13 Replies Latest reply on Aug 7, 2012 2:21 PM by Nathan Gustafson

Hilux Chassis..

Nik Owen

Hi guys & gals..

I'm pickling my brains trying to get started on modeling this chassis

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0803/an1mal_69/854runnerFrame.gif[/IMG]

whats the best way to go about it?  I am a beginner, is this running before i can walk?

• Re: Hilux Chassis..
          Nik Owen

just to add, the accuracy of the cross bracing etc is not important really, its just the chassis rails im after.

many thanks (in advance)

Nik.

Jerry Brian

Draw a dotted line construction line down the center.

Draw the left side and then mirror it.

There I just cut you work in half :-)

Are your requirements later going to be that you need to take off a crossmember and work on that? Or can you just draw it all as 1 part?

You can make it a part, or an assembly of parts.

Nik Owen

thanks for the 'mirror' tip!!

Its really for mocking up suspension designs, so just one brace at the front & rear will suffice.  I will add different cross members with different designs etc.

My main issue was getting the correct curves & the fluting of the chassis from a 76mm to 140mm section.  Would it be best practice to do this using different planes for each change in axis?

Also I'm guessing it would be easier to model it as a solid as opposed to the 3mm box section it is?

thanks again,

Nik..

Jerry Brian

You can model it as solid and use the shell feature to hollow it out after.

You can mirror a sketch easy or you can make a left rail and then easily click on create a mirror part.

Its kinda funny. the drawing does not specify all the geometry of the rails.

It does give exact locations for mounting points. It kinda does not matter if the rails are off a little as long as the mounting points are right you can assemble the truck!!

You never know where something not shown like an exhaust pipe might hit the rail then though.

So with this drawing it will be ... That Looks About Right.

Unless there is a drawing for the rails with every dimension.

Solidworks Tutorials are really good, I am not pushing you away, it's just that they are another great thing for you.

Nik Owen

thanks for your input, It's appreciated!!

Yea, the drawing is not fully defined, the arcs for example, and the origin for the arcs to start and finish etc, but like you say I should be able to come up with a pretty accurate model from that drawing.  I've run through the tutorials a couple of times, lofting etc, hence my thinking on the planes.  I guess more study is needed!!  I have 'the Bible' but I've been using it as a reference more than working through it..

Jerry Steiger

Nik,

I would try to use a Sweep with Guide Curves to generate the box section as a solid, then Shell it.The tricky part is that the path and guide curves don't stay in just one plane. You will need either a 3D Sketch or use Projected Curves. I would use the latter if at all possible, as they are much easier to work with. In fact I would use Project Curve anyway. If Sweep won't accept the Curve as a path or guide curve, then open a 3D Sketch and use Convert Entities on the Curve to get your path or guide curve.

Jerry Steiger

Nik Owen

Thanks for the reply Jerry! I did get round it in the end, I sketched the chassis on the right plane as sheet metal @ 75mm, then used sketch bend @ 10* with a 450mm radius, finally, used the shell feature to give a 4mm wall. It looks great, I'll grab some caps' next time I'm on there.

One other issue you may have an idea on.. I'm modelling proposed 3-link suspension set-ups on the truck.  I've modelled the links themselves with what's called a 'creeper joint' at either end, these are a pretty basic spherical joint. In the joint assembly (and the full link assy') the joints operate as expected, i.e. I can manipulate the ball within the joint, however when I add the links into the final chassis assy' the links do not function, other than around their mates?

Thanks again for taking time out to read..Nik.

Nik Owen

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0803/an1mal_69/ChassisISOf-link_1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0803/an1mal_69/Chassisfrontf-link_1.jpg

Hey guys..here's a couple of pics of my progress thus far.  Getting there, but it's frustrating & enjoyable all in the same session. I'll link the file too.. https://dl.dropbox.com/u/95372976/chassis_2.SLDASM

thanks again,  Nik.

Nathan Gustafson

Nice work! If you ever model a chassis for a 95 Ford F150 4x4 let me know!