23 Replies Latest reply on Jul 19, 2012 11:31 AM by Jim Wilkinson

Gain access to internal *GARBAGE* in parts & assemblies to clean it out...

Paul Passarelli

Last week I upgraded to 2012 SP4 to try to leave the instabilities of SP2 behind, but it has become *LESS* stable.

I have a sketch that I can't rename because it says the name is in use -- (probably by a deleted layout block).

I get warnings that the s'ware can't find files in the swxauto path, but my assemply contains only virtual parts.

I renamed "copy of part" to "part" and the s'ware dies with a fatal error...

Does anyone at corporate care?

• Re: Gain access to internal *GARBAGE* in parts & assemblies to clean it out...
          Anna Wood

What does your SolidWorks reseller support desk have to say?

We have had pretty good luck with SW2012 SP4

Cheers,

Anna

• Re: Gain access to internal *GARBAGE* in parts & assemblies to clean it out...
            Glenn Schroeder

Like Anna, I've also had good luck with SW2012 sp4.

Paul Passarelli wrote:

I renamed "copy of part" to "part" and the s'ware dies with a fatal error...

How did you re-name this part?  Was it also a virtual part and you clicked on the part name in the assembly, then clicked again (or hit F2) to highlight and re-name?  Or was this an external file you were re-naming?

Paul Passarelli

Hi Anna & Glenn,

I don't feel that contacting the reseller is appropriate for a failure that is so obviously caused by lack of quality assurance at SolidWorks Software Development!

While FunTech has certainly helped me in the recent past, I'm hesitant to burden them with problems that they did not introduce into the product.  The businedd model in force at SolidWorks demonstrates an almost "government-like" pattern of thinking.  Allow one group of people to produce shoddy work product and pass the blame and responsibility onto another group.

I did nothing more complicated than selecting the part name in the tree and changing "copy of part" to "part".

The garbage I'm referring to probably consists of broken references to blocks that I inserted and deleted during the beginning of the design of this assembly.  The assy contains a 4-bar linkage and I was solving some shape issues graphically.  The assy contains 24 sketches, and about 30 unique parts, all virtual until I decide on formal part numbers.

While the assy is more complex than the speaker in the tutorial, it does not contain any curves more complex than an elipse or solids other than extrudes & revolves.  The philosophy is top-down and each part has its insertion on the front plane and an InPlace mate.  I begin each part by placing a derived sketch onto one og the promary planes, and then creating a local plane when necessary.  The local plane gets a new sketch vie "convert entities" and that is finallt extruded or revolved into a base.

Nothing I'm doing is far removed from the tutorials and *common sense*. 

What I have observed is that almost without fail if a document is *edited* then the lifetime of the .sldasm before the system crashes is finite and inversly proportional to the work performed so far.  If Im able to produce the entire design in one non-stop session and never make an edit, then the s'ware seems to behave.  But, that isn't possible when exploring a brand new design, which is what I primarily do.

Anyway, thanks for your input, I hope someone from corporate reads and is suitably embarrassed to inquire further.

--Paul

Glenn Schroeder

Paul,

I'm sorry that you're having so much trouble, but I've got to re-state that I've found SW2012 to be very stable, and I'm editing things (parts, assemblies, and editing parts within assemblies) all the time.  I have SW going 6 - 8 hours per day and I go weeks without a crash.

And if you want help I would definitely take Anna's advice about contacting your re-seller.  Of course they didn't introduce problems into the product, they have very little to do with product development.  On the other hand, part of the money you're paying them is for customer support, but they can't help if you don't contact them.

Good luck,

Glenn

Paul Passarelli

Hi Glenn,

I'm sorry for being argumentative... so I'll ease into the discussion.  1st, might I enquire what your platform is?  Although I doubt my HP *workstation* w/ ECC & is the problem, nor is Win 7 Professional 64-bit, or the nvidia Quadro driver that they insisted I download, I'm *grudgingly* willing to go through the motions of testing my platform... again... (NOT.)

No, it's is highly unlikely that there is <medical jargon alert> an organic cause to this disease, SolidWorks is mentally unstable.  As I said, I tried to rename a part, and the s'ware ***crashed***!!!  Even if the directory had 100,000 files with names like "Backup (19517) of MyPart^MyAssy.sldasm" I would not expect a crash; I would expect a long delay and a complaint... maybe even the window going dim or not refreshing...

Further I cannot abide a warning message that says "That name is in use or contains an '@'.." the "@" sign is a test, and if I had tried and been admionished I'd be OK. Same thing goes for "#, ^, !, $, &" etc...  But as for the name being in use...  Well, that's a bug in the s'ware!

My sketch was called "T rod #" which tells me at a glance that it is on the Top plane and that it contains insufficient information to be extruded.  It's a skeleton of the left side of a part and there is/are another sketch(es) that provides the skeleton for the right side.  I had another sketch at one time called "T rod" that contained the entire closed section of the extrude that I inserted derived copies of into several parts.

Well, the s'ware crashed last week and it auto-recovered; but I did not know the file was damaged...  "T rod" was gone from the tree, but it lives on in the zombie name database.

I _developed_ s'ware for 20 years, so I know my way around a PC.  And I also know when a product was rushed out with "featuritis" rather than thoroughly tested.

The easiest was for anyonte to see this is with a tangent line and curve.  If you move either entity and the curve starts toggling from 90 degrees to 270 degrees and can't seem to make up it's mind...  That's called "Gimbal Lock", and it is a strong indication that the programmer took shortcuts when coding algorithms.  Now pile up the hundreds or thousands of shortcuts that the coders took and you have a *very* shakey product.  BTW the "@" thing above combined into one dialog is a shortcut.

It's true that many users will learn to avoid the dangerous areas, as I'm certain you have.  But that limits the flexibility of the tool.  Sure I could limit myself to one or two simple curves on each sketch, and then, befor the work becomes too complex, copy & paste what I've learned into a new part file after a safety reboot.  But I might as well carve my designs into balsa wood.  I can buy a lot of balsa wood for the price of a seat of SolidWorks!

Oh and Glenn, I do appreciate your time & effort, but I want SolidWorks to step up instead of allowing the community to do what they've been paid to do.

And I do need to apologize for being curt, but it's hard to be jovial whan I never know exactly how much work I'm going to lose on any give day due to software failures.

Thanks,

--Paul

Glenn Schroeder

Paul,

You can hover your cursor on my icon to get my machine's specs.

I'm sure you're right about learning to avoid problem areas and practices.  I know that I've learned that sometimes I just need to do things the way SW wants me to and not the way I want or the way I think would be the best way.

And I understand your frustration, there are plenty of things about the software that frustrate me too and I've never been hesitant to talk about them here.

The best advice I can give you about losing work is something you already know: Save early and save often.

Glenn

Paul Passarelli

Hi Glenn,

I noted that your platform is about 1 year newer than mine, but, as I indicated I don't think that has anything to do with the problems.

RE: "Save early and save often." (a parody on "Vote early and vote oten, it's the Chicago way.")  Is, for SolidWorks, about as effective fighting Chicago politics!  As I mentioned, I can save my files, and they can be corrupt -- that is to say they will contain subtle damage that when the files are used to recover post-crash, the backups then immediately follow the same inevitable path to another crash.

I've had my number of backups set as high as 9, because 19517 wouldn't improve my chances to recover lost work.  There have been numerous occasions when Backup (7) was fine, but backup (6) was unuseable.  I would point out that 6 backups at 15 minutes represents a significant quantity of lost work.  If this had happened once, I'd probable have forgotten about it -- but it happens *REGULARLY*.

BTW: Frustration is having to slowly hit escape more than 3 times to clear smart dimensioning, because the UI doesn't react fast enough, or *PROPERLY CACHE* keystrokes -- I'm well into teeth-gnashing, jaw-breaking, anger!  :^)

That said, I'm not a gamer, so it's not like I expect to be able to time events to within a few milliceconds, but I do think several moves ahead, and it's not like I'm waiting for automatic relationships & snaps (frequently disabled) to pop-under the cursor.  And it's not like the assembly is huge, or even close to the Large Assembly default value; 30 parts from 24 sketches isn't all that many.

I've been working on this design for more than a month now and I have to get it out for quote.  I'm way past the time I thought I'd be doing tolerances, because I'm on my 3rd iteration of the design intent.  I'd really like to sue SolidWorks for damagesm but I'm certain that somewhere in all the fine print, there's a clause that holds them harmless -- but the bad publicity -- I'd consider suing them for that reason alone, but my design would still end up late to production.

Alin Vargatu

That sounds really bad.  I would suggest again contacting your VAR.

Can you replicate this behaviour on other machines?

Jerry Brian

Paul,

Does your computers event viewer log give you any clues?

Our anti-virus was blocking some SW actions, and caused huge problems for me.

A shot in the dark ...............

Paul Passarelli

Hi Jerry,

Yeah, that's one issue I learned back w/ SW 2005.  I use AVG, which allows me to exempt path from scanning actions.  And yes, I *always* turn off anti-virus and "run as" when I do a major install -- I shouldn't have to, but I do.

Back in January when I upgraded to Windows 7 and reformatted my hard disks, I allowed SW to run bareback on the freshly installed OS and used my laptop for anything internet.    You may recall that I posted a thread complaining that the SP2 failed to install.  -- That was on the clean install of Win 7 from retail media Win & SW.

Thanks for pointing out yet another shortcut that the SolidWorks developers took.  As I said, shortcuts are a hallmark of "hurry up and get it done" programming, and a clear indication that features are more important than substance at the corporate level.

Thanks for the input.

Kelvin Lamport

Paul,

I notice from your avatar profile that you are using PAE;

HP xw4600 4G w/PAE, NVIDIA Quadro, 7 Pro(64bit) -- *still* a reluctant upgrade from SW

Unless my understanding of the PAE function is totally wrong, you should not be using that on a 64 bit system. It is intended only for x32 systems. Having it enabled on a x64 system could actually be restricting your systems use of available memory, and could be the cause (or at least partially) of your problems. But I will bow to your 20 years of software development knowledge to correct me if I am wrong.

Paul Passarelli

Hi Kelvin,

I think you're correct about PAE (Physical Address Extension) as it applies to 32-bit systems.  It is my understanding that PAE is part of the BIOS, or more appropriately a function of the chipset.  It allows physical addresses like video RAM to remap above the 4GB address space that is addressable with the 32-bit "flat" memory model.  The true nature of PAE occurs in the bridges (north, south I can never keep those straight), and it should be completely transparent to the system above the device driver level.

I have to hope that no one working on the SolidWorks UI is going anywhere near that depth -- that would be very bad practice.

I'm afraid to do any designing right now... the mercury is well above 90F, and that makes it hard to pay attention to every last detail.

Ah, that let's me relate another *BUG* that I experienced this morning...

I have a new part (virtual) that I just revolved from a sketch on the top plane. I created a rectangle on the front plane that I intended to use to cut a flat into the cylinder.  Because of the heat I selected "extruded boss" instead of "extruded-cut" -- clearly my mistake, and chose "through all" for the depth in both directions.  Hit OK.  A boss appears out to the diameter of the cylinder.

OK, not a problem, delete the extruded feature, change the tool to extruded cut, and reselect through all for both directions.  My cylinder now has a flat.

Next step, sketch on a surface parallel to the right plane; select extruded-cut... and here is where it gets interesting!  The only option available for depth of cut is "through all"!  No blind, no up to vertex or up to surface, nothing.

I cannot move foreward with my part.  I rebuild, nothing. I save, nothing. The only cut that SolidWorks knows is the purple-ginsu beam of the Shadows (gratuitius Babylon 5 reference, with thanks to the Great Maker, Joe Straczynski), i.e "through all".

I will not be able to cut normally again until I reboot my computer!  Even restarting SolidWorks is insufficient to clear this error.  I see it enough to know.

Thanks for the feedback.

BTW, what do you think *really* happens when I talk to my VAR about stuff like this?  They enter it into some list of things that make you go "hmmm?".  I can't say I blame them, the bug is difficult to reproduce.  But that does not absolve SolidWorks from responsibility!

Clouds are turning green here, gonna so seek shelter.

Message was edited by: Paul Passarelli

Alin Vargatu

Paul Passarelli wrote:

BTW, what do you think *really* happens when I talk to my VAR about stuff like this?  They enter it into some list of things that make you go "hmmm?".  I can't say I blame them, the bug is difficult to reproduce.  But that does not absolve SolidWorks from responsibility!

I can just assume that they will ask you for an Rx report or will do a remote session to check various settings on your machine. They might even suggest completely uninstalling SolidWorks and re-installing it using the best practices. There are lots of things your VAR can do to troubleshoot these issues. If all fails, they will involve SolidWorks directly in the troubleshooting process.

Paul Passarelli

Hi Alin,

Thanks for reading my long posts!  Tha last time I reinstalled, it took two days on the phone with the VAR and "SolidWorks" on the 2nd day.  Boy oh boy did we go deep into the directory structure, the registry, and even those log files that clutter up the hard drive.

Mostly because someone at SolidWorks played with directory and file permissions of some of the .DLL files deep in the tree.  I had been using automatic downloads, and that was the source of the trouble.  I've since turned it off, and surprize the system runs "better", but that's like saying a root canal is "better" than a gunshot wound.

That said, the only benefit I obtained, was getting my install to work again.  The tech who helped me was able to write some new notes on the install process.  But it seems that only some of the problems were eliminated in the SP4 .msi files, but some is better than none.  Oh and since I took notes, I was able to complete my SP4 upgrade/install without spending more hours on the phone with the VAR.  I skipped SP3.

I realize that all this dialog makes me appear like a pain in the rear, but that is not my goal.  I don't like to complain, I prefer to fix my own problems, and I don't call support until I've exhausted my ability to help myself.

Tryin to stay cool :^)

Jim Wilkinson

Hi Paul,

Relating to this:

Paul Passarelli wrote:

Next step, sketch on a surface parallel to the right plane; select extruded-cut... and here is where it gets interesting!  The only option available for depth of cut is &quot;through all&quot;!  No blind, no up to vertex or up to surface, nothing.

I cannot move foreward with my part.  I rebuild, nothing. I save, nothing. The only cut that SolidWorks knows is the purple-ginsu beam of the Shadows (gratuitius Babylon 5 reference, with thanks to the Great Maker, Joe Straczynski), i.e &quot;through all&quot;.

I will not be able to cut normally again until I reboot my computer!  Even restarting SolidWorks is insufficient to clear this error.  I see it enough to know. 

This sounds like you have an open profile in your sketch instead of closed and the only possibility for an open profile is a through all cut or a thin cut (did it happen to default to thin and you turned off that option so now the only choice is through all?). There is a command under Tools, Sketch Tools, Check Sketch for Feature that you can use to check sketches. If you don't set a feature usage and just click Check, it will tell you what kinds of contours are in your sketch. If you set it to Cut Extrude, it will say no problems found since an open sketch is valid for a through all cut. If you set it to Boss Extrude it will indicate that the sketch contains an open contour and highlight one of the entities that has an open endpoint so you can try to find the gap. Sometimes there can be a small gap between entities if you mis-pick so this can help you find the gap.

If this is not the case, then I would suggest submitting it your VAR to help troubleshoot or to submit to our staff if it is in fact a defect in the software. While you indicate you are trying to get the attention of SolidWorks in the thread, our technical support is done through our resellers regardless of whether it is a problem with the software or any other type of issue. Part of the VARs responsibility is to be the first line of support for all issues and they involve our internal technical support staff if it is an issue that needs to be looked at by our development staff.

I hope this helps,

Jim

Paul Passarelli

Hi Jim,

Interesting that you knew it defaulted to thin-section...  But that defaulting is also probably just a symptom of the bug, not the cause.  Unless there is some way for a corner rectangle with sketch tillets to become "open" -- in which case the developers might have a starting point to look for the bug.

Besides, once the s'ware goes into purple-ginsu-beam mode, then either no sketch is ever closed until Windows is rebooted, or an internal list/vector of valid objects is corrupted and remains in some zombie object in memory.  Of course those two interpretations might be one-in-the-same thing.

What I am not able to do is to spend tons of time chasing a bug that, as I said, is difficult to reproduce, but does occurr with enough regularity that I can usually describe what leads up to it, but not what *caused* it.  What I can do is concede that the bug typically manifests when I make an error, like selecting extrude instead of cut.  But for the company to rely on that as an excuse or a crutch... well 'nuf said.

As I look back at all this I realized that I'm not being clear as to what I want.  So I'll say it. I want s'ware that doesn't *BURN* my time.  If I lose 10 hours a week to various crashes, lockups, reboots, defective auto-recovers, plus 2 minutes out of every 15 watching the little wheel saving bloated files, then I'm NOT getting my money's worth.  In fact, it's costing me far more than the fees for licensing & subscription.

I have offered more than a few suggestions over the years, up to and including performing a code review as a consultant -- but that's not important.

Give me a version of the s'ware that is lean and efficient.  Give me a version of the s'ware that does *everything* that your marketing department likes to brag about.  Give me s'ware that earns my trust, and then I'll be willing to buy what you are selling.  Give me help files and descriptions that clarify what the feature does. i.e. Options: [X] Jabberwocky -- and the help reads: Jabberwocky turns Jabberwocky on or off.  In short, give me s'ware that I *want* to use, not s'ware that I dread to sit behind.

Regards,

--Paul

Paul Passarelli

<aside> Hi Jim,

I hope I didn't get you in trouble... no, wait how could you get in trouble for trying to help? 

I simply want the powers that be to understand that the perception is that the process and the system is broken.  Adn we all know that "perception is reality".   You wrote: "Part of the VARs responsibility is to be the first line of support for all issues and they involve our internal technical support staff if it is an issue that needs to be looked at by our development staff."

From where I sit, it appears that the development staff cannot handle the assigned task.  However, AFAIC that is invariably a failure of *MANAGEMENT* -- not the technical people.  We all know management and Technology are like oil & water.  Unfortunately Management is the water, and it wants to be on top, which the oil does naturally -- hence the inevitable discord.

There are several possibilities as to why these problems persist:

* Management refuses to prioritize stability issues

* Technologists are misdirected by the whims of Marketing

* There is a gap in communication

* There are insufficient resources devoted to the challenge

* The development team has been demoralized by management

and a littany of other possible excuses.

Regards,

Jim Wilkinson

Hi Paul,

I totally understand your position and comments and we do take the performance and quality of our software quite seriously. The only thing I can say, as Alin has also said, is that the issues you seem to be facing are not general ones that we have heard of before either in the forum or that I have heard of internally. These sound like pretty serious issues that would have raised their head before by other users. There are many users that don't have stability issues or corruption issues so I can't really suggest anything else than to get some help from your VAR to try to track down what might be happening to cause the issues. If you can give them some of the files that have become corrupt, sometimes our technical support staff or developers can figure out what caused them to become corrupt and provide suggestions or if it is in fact a problem in the software itself, of course correct that problem.

Thanks,

Jim

Alin Vargatu

Paul Passarelli wrote:

Thanks for pointing out yet another shortcut that the SolidWorks developers took. 

Sorry Paul, what other shortcut are you talking about? The fact that some AV programs block SW?

This page might help you select a certified solution:

http://www.solidworks.com/sw/support/AntiVirus_SW.html

Also, what is you VAR saying about your problem? Have you made them aware of your problems and frustration?

Paul Passarelli

Hi Alin,

Which shortcut... oh yea.  Having to *know* that using "run as administrator" is necessary, or even recommended.  BTW, my account is an administrator account, so the differences are truly trivial, like the location of temp directories, and variables in the environment.

When you toss out terms like "certified solution" my propaganda meter goes off the scale.  The only thing I can tell is that some flunky in the "Q/A" department went throught the same set of standard and inadequate tests of the distribution.  BTW I'm using AVG which is on the list.

Here's the thing, there shouldn't be anything in SolidWorks that exhibits "virus-like" behavior!  But we all know there is, and we choose to accept it -- like sheeple.  The Widoze(tm) API contains plenty of security functions, that would be completely transparent to any anti-virus, disk-encryption, or other service provided by the OS.  It is invariably when developted attempt to "show-off" that they use depricated API's or circumvent the high level functions with PRIVILEDGE_REQUEST_flags, because it lets them write 5 lines of complex code instead of 20 lines of clear code, that the compiler interprets away anyway...

And then because they can't understand the 5 complex lines, the poor SOB who has to maintain the code says: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." and the bug persists from major releas to major release.

Those are some of the shortcuts I'm talking about.  I apologize for the computer science lesson in a CAD forum.

Alin Vargatu

Paul, I hope you would not take this suggestion the wrong way. I am not questioning your coding skills, mostly because I know very little about the development process. Being such a knowledgeable person, you most likely did a lot of tweaking to your system, did you not?

I suspect you did, just because I have never heard of anybody else complaining of the problems you experienced.

Let's do a test.

1. Install Windows 7 Pro on a newly formatted drive on a certified machine.

2. Make sure you have an admin account.

3. Do not modify any settings of Windows. The only tweak I would recommend is disabling the UAC.

4. Install SolidWorks as per the best practices. If you do not know what they are, let us know and we will forward the documentation.

5. Test again.

Paul Passarelli

Hi Alin,

No, I d/won't take the suggestion the wrong way :^)  However, I didn't do any tweaking of my system either.  Last year I was using XP Pro until I was his with a rootkit (virus) in late December.  Twas New years eve, and I ran out and bought retail Windows 7.  On January 1st I formatted my disks & installed my 1st experience with that version of 64-bit Windoze(tm).  I didn't even reinstall Mozilla, only OpenOffice & SolidWorks.  I had a deadline and had lost time trying to remove the rootkit back in December.

As for a Best Practices document... well, I admit that I did't search for any document... I assumed (no jokes please) that putting the disk 2012 SP0 in the drive wouldn't be sub-optimal...  If it is, then I would question why SolidWorks isn't employing "best prectices"???;  but I digress.

On the notion of the admin account, I consider that to be yet anothr failure of the SolidWorks developers.  When I tried to install as a user, it gets partway into the script then fails.  Why didn't they test for the correct priviledge and exit gracefully?; but I digress again.

If memory serves the install went smoothly, it was after all a brand new machine.  SP1 was online and I allowed it to upgrade.  I restored the files I needed from Carbonite, and naturally felt like I was sitting behind my 'puter in my birthday suit.  What I do not remember was a period of above average productivity with my new installations. 

Within a week, my system was in the weeds; but I'll take responsibility for that by trying to fit the new windows UI to my previously well developed habits with XP.  But I had managed to get my Dec 31 deliverables out only a few days late.

This time I repartitioned my hard disks, forfeiting my linux install, and my compartmentalized approach to Windoze(tm) that worked very well for XP.

This time I added AVG, since running bareback hadn't improved SolidWorks behavior.  I redid the installs, again from scratch, and recovered my comforable toolbelt.  Again SP1 was downloaded and applied automaticaly.  I learned to adapt to Windoze(tm) on C: without my E: L: and M: drives, and accepted that OS files and data would have to mix and fragment -- but as they say "Micro$oft knows best, (NOT!)"

On or about February 23, I was more than ready for SP2, and the result is summarized here:  https://forum.solidworks.com/thread/52755  This is when I spent 2 days on the phone with the VAR.

We disabled automatic downloads, etc... so I missed SP3 altogether.  By the end of March I was no longer doing CAD, so the s'ware was unused thru April, May, and the 1st half of June.

June 18 brought a new project, and June 23 brought Case# 79012 a total and complete lockout scenario necessitating me to call FunTech. 

Download SP4, work for a few days until, July 6, back on the line with VAR... Pack-n-Go .sldasm file... she fixed it, but it gives an invalid path warning when I try to open it.  I recreate the indicated path on my 'puter, then weed out corrupt backups.

More work, lots more crashes, I simply accept instability as a fact of life.  No rhyme nor reason, but I waste 2 min out of every 15 allowing the auto recovery to try to save my bacon.

The we're up to the 16th and the beginning of this thread.

BTW, I'm the owner, engineer, president, CTO, etc. but it's a small company, I don't have spare workstations to test on.  I only upgraded to 2011 late last year when my old VAR made me an offer too good to resist, or so I thought.  Then he sold his SolidWorks franchise to FunTech, who AFAIK has never received a dime directly from me; *that is why I feel bad troubling them for support*, regardless of what the policy is.

Not as hot here today as it was yesterday, but it was a long and sticky night, so I apologize for by grumpiness.