5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 11, 2012 10:42 AM by Abhishek Madras

Loft Regions

Abhishek Madras

I have a problem in lofting the following sketches. What Im trying to do here is to loft a solidshape with a clover shape figure which is at 14mm from a circular shape and then I want to shell the solidshape at a width of 2.5mm. I tried offsetting both the figures and slecting the regions enclosed between them for lofting however I was unable to do that because solidworks only allows me to select regions in 2D. As in If I can get the regions enclosed between the two clovers and the two circles perfectly lofted, my problem would be solved.

I tried using surface loft but it just connects the curves with an infinitely thin sheet of material. Surface lofting gives me self intersecting geometry error.

For now I just connected the outer curves and used the shell command, but as you can see from the image, the hollow shape generated is irregular and not perfectly concentric

Any help would be of immense use

Thanks

Abhishek

• Re: Loft Regions

Hi Abhishek,

See attached, is this what you are looking for? the key is to make beginning and end profile 2D sketches, and then use the selectionManager. Also, it needs to be done using an insert>boss>Loft and then an Insert>Cut>Loft.

Regards

Mark

Abhishek Madras

Hi Mark

Thank you so much for helping me out. That solved one bit of the main problem. But now Im trying to create a second loft on a different plane inclinated to the first one. Using Insert-Boss-Loft and Insert-Cut-Loft gives me a boss and a cut along the shortest path which is a straight line. I know we can input guide curves to get curved geometry. Is 3D Sketch the only way to input guide curves or is there any other way?

I have another question. Is it possible for me to fillet in an assembly?

With best regards

Abhishek

Hi Abhishek,

If the cut is along a straight path, there is an option in Extrude cut to cut along vector. Look for the input box with the arrow next to it just below end condition selection. If the "path" (guide curve) is not linear, then you can use a 3D sketch, but what a lot of designers like to do is to create a 3D curve as a result of two 2D sketches - You can use the insert>curve>projected to do this.

Regards

Mark

Abhishek Madras

Hi Mark,

Sorry I couldnt reply to you earlier. The thing is I was out of the country (australia) for a while on an AIESEC project and I just came back day before yesterday.The thing is Im modelling blood flow through the aorta for my honours thesis (CFD analysis on Ansys Workbench) and I hope to achieve estimates of the shear stress values on the aortic valve. The region lofting thing was all a part to simplify and model the bulbous structure of the aorta i.e. the aortic stem. Most of the modelling stuff has been done, however, ansys requires me to make a fluid model for CFD analysis as well. Is there a way to make the fluid model on Solidworks for ansys analysis? aorta.gr1.gif