1 Reply Latest reply on Jul 31, 2012 3:34 PM by Jerry Steiger

Need to separate holes and bounding box when exporting to dwg/dxf

Danny Pearson

We have a plasma cutter here that can read SolidWorks part files for cutting parts from sheet metal.  We used to use AutoCAD.  The thing that worked well with AutoCAD was that we could put the boundary cut on one layer (to be cut last), cuts within the boundary cut on another layer, and scribes on another.  It would be ideal to be able to do this within a SolidWorks part file, but I don't know if that's possible.  I've come close with mapping while exporting it to a dwg/dxf.  I can select "Bounding Box" to represent the boundary cut, and I can leave the scribes as sketches and select "Sketches" for those.  The thing I can't find a solution for is just internal geometry.  If I select the "Geometry" box, it selects all the geometry, including the boundary cut.  Does anyone know of a way to select just the internal cuts/geometries, without selecting the outer boundary?  Using SW 2011 SP4.0

• Re: Need to separate holes and bounding box when exporting to dwg/dxf
          Jerry Steiger

Danny,

I can't think of any way to do this automatically. You might ask in the API forum, as those folks are wizards at coming up with automatic ways to do things that I can't even figure out how to do by hand.

The best way I can think of to do it manually is to pick the bounday cut edges (you should be able to pick all of them by right clicking on one edge, then "Select Loop" and picking the right loop) and assign them to a layer.

Jerry Steiger