10 Replies Latest reply on Jul 6, 2012 7:39 PM by Jordan Nowik

Tab key to cycle options in Property manager

Jordan Nowik

My problem - for instance :

I am in an open sketch and hit my shortcut key to sketch a rectangle.  My defaut rectangle type is 'corner' but I want to use the two-point rectangle.

I can hit the tab key and see my different options 'highlight' cyclically with each tab hit,  but my default is still the active tool.  What is the keystroke or command I need to map in order to make the 'highlighted'  tool type the active tool?

Presumably it would be enter...?

Thanks in advance!

• Re: Tab key to cycle options in Property manager
          Jordan Nowik

....I should say I have another issue that needs remedy - the fact that I cannot deselect 'merge result' from my keyboard.  It's unclear if the tab-cycling hits merge result or not -

I guess,  effectively,  if there were just a command to select highlighted item in the property manager when creating a sketch entity, feature, etc.,  this would solve many of my woes.

Another solution would be a context driven ctrl-(letter) option,  similar to what is available when creating relations,  i.e. alt-d for coincident, alt-l collinear,  etc.  Merge result should certainly have an alt-g or alt-m tied to it...

Lenny Bucholz

corner is a 2 point rectangle or are you talking the center point rectangle??

now if you change the corner to the center and save the part and exit SW the next time you start SW the center Rectangle will be active,

it gets saved to the registery.

merge results is too deep for a shortcut, also most use it very little, just gotta keep de-selecting it, sorry

Jordan Nowik

this is a fantastic bit to know,  but not exactly what i'm looking for. 

....2 ponit rectangle is my current default.  i initiate sketch rectangle;  if I hit tab (twice) before I do anything else ,  the next rectangle type (center,  in this case) gets a darker outline around its option.  If I continue to hit tab,  it will continue through the rectangle type(s).  However,  the default rectangle type remains the active type. 

Is there a way for me,  via keyboard,  to make the darker-outlined,  tab-manuevered type the active type?  Not as the default,  but as the type I will use for this single rectangle...

Lenny Bucholz

you have to click the little arrow next to the rectangle tool, pick the one you want, then click the green arrow to close the property feild and what you picked will stay.

make your self a keyboard short cut or a mouse gesture if this really bugs you

keyboard short cut.jpgmouse gesture.jpgmouse gesture show.jpg

Jordan Nowik

I apologize,  I should've been much more clear.

Please note I am very grateful for your attention here...

The attached screenshot is the interface I want to interact with.  Note the active rectangle type.

I use a keyboard shortcut to call up this dialogue.  If I hit tab before I sketch my rectangle,  a dark border appears on the first rectangle type (in this case,  the active 2-point rectangle type).  If I hit tab again,  the dark border will move over to the two point center rectangle,  tab again to the three point rectangle,  and so on...

The implication seems to me that I should be able to select the rectangle type with this border as my active rectangle type when I tab over to it.  This is what I so desperately desire....the keyboard input that selects the tab-highlighted geometry type (meaning,  I expect to be able to hit ENTER to select the bordered,  but not active,  geometry type.  The benefit to this is that it's always context driven to the selected geometry,  whereas the mouse shortcut limits my scope to what I put into that menu.

Further advice appreciated,  and thank you thus far!rectangle types.JPG

Kelvin Lamport

Setting up & using the S-Key shortcut will eliminate that problem.

S-Key - Sketch.png

Jordan Nowik

Appreciated,  but still in my eyes not the efficient answer to my problem.  I still have non-context alternatives in my line of sight,  and mouse movement;  I'm a keyboard guy,  and will remember two tab strokes gives me this before I will remember where in a grid the tool I want is.

Surely if I have this tab key cycling through highlighted options....I must be able to select the framed alternative?!  Why would I be able to tab-key navigate the different geometry types if I couldn't select them????

Richard Doyle

Hi Jordan,

Unless you have it assigned it to something else, the "A" key will cycle through the various rectangle options and assign focus.

One of our UI folks might be able to explain the TAB issue.

Richard

PS - if you have to assign a new shortcut, the command you are looking for is "Command option toggle" in the "Others" category of the keyboard customization dialog box.

Jordan Nowik

This was my first post and the response was superlative;  very exciting stuff.

Mr. Doyle,  thanks to your answer I just remembered what it felt like to open Christmas presents as a child.  Many,  many thanks.

I am very curious about the TAB issue,  still,  and would really like to know what's going on there.

Thanks to all again.

Jordan Nowik

This would be on the same subject....

Not only can I sometimes tab down to merge result,  but also,  sometimes,  the M is underlined as if I could deselect it with alt-m (as you can create relations between sketch entities by ctrl-selecting and alt-l will create collinear relation,  for instance).

When I 'tab down' to merge result,  the words 'merge result'  will have a dotted-line box around it. 

The ability to turn merge on/off with keystrokes would be another wonderful ability.  I've seen this desire expressed in discussions here but haven't seen it resolved.merge result.JPG