9 Replies Latest reply on Aug 4, 2012 2:48 PM by Jerry Steiger

Re-Link assembly components (Out of Context)

Serge J. Gendron

In the attached file I have an assembly with components that were created in context. But now these components are out of context.

How can I re-link these files?

Thanks in advance

Serge JG

• Re: Re-Link assembly components (Out of Context)
          Anna Wood

There is no auto-magic way to re-link the lost references.

You will need to go into each sketch and rebuild the out of context entities.  Delete entities and re-create.

Files will not just lose their relationships on their own.  Something was done to the files in your process of working on them.

Did you rename any of the files in Windows Explorer?  This will cause what you are seeing.

It looks that at one time you built your assembly around Z100301-SW.sldprt.  But that file no longer exists, some of your broken sketches are looking for that file. You now have Z100301-A-SW.sldprt thru Z100301-D-SW.sldprt.  Somewhere along the line it looks like you broke your part into four separate part files.

How did you do that?  Give us a detailed history of how this assembly was created.  What technique did you use to create parts A thru D?  How you did this is the cause of your current issue.  The technique you used broke the relationships.

Cheers,

Anna

Serge J. Gendron

Hello Anna,

Thanks for your reply. This assembly was first created by:

a) start a new assembly.

b) multiple sketches were created in context of the assembly.

c) all the components were created from those sketches within the assembly.

This assembly did not have problems when it was completed some time ago, but now I need to do a minor modification to the assembly by changing a dimension, and the change does not happen.

Regards

Serge JG

Anna Wood

At no time in the process any of the files where renamed?

Where is Z100301-C-SW.SLDASM?  Looks like your assembly was made in-context with this assembly.  Did you rename this assembly file in Windows Explorer at some point in the process?

File References.png

File > Find References

If I rename your assembly in Windows Explorer (which is bad technique done for just this example) to Z100301-C-SW.SLDASM your bad incontext relations are re-connected.  However anything that you made in context of Z100301-SW.SLDASM now goes bad.

File References 2.png

That leads to me beleive that somewhere in the middle of your design process you renamed your top level assembly in Windows Explorer.

You are going to need to pick your poison and re-build you bad assembly sketches.  Simple as that.

You want be sure to save file re-naming until the end of your project and also use SolidWorks Explorer, not Windows for these tasks.  Using Windows Explorer will break the links.

Cheers,

Anna

Dean Dickemore

Serge,

I found this thread useful when faced with a similar situation with customer supplied files not long ago.  I believe using the Pack 'n Go may very well address your situation as well.

Cheers

<><