9 Replies Latest reply on Jun 18, 2013 8:31 AM by Rich Trnka

Cold Storage and NAS

Ryan McVay

I've attempted three times to apply a Cold Storage schema to our Archive (700Gig worth). I've done the following:

1. Setup a NAS

2. Mapped the NAS drive on the Archive server

3. Create directory and sub-dir on NAS as needed

3. Setup the schema to keep only the last 2 versions

4. Reset the service

5. Wait

I'm not getting any results.

Any tips or tricks I should know about?

• Re: Cold Storage and NAS
          Steve Ostrovsky

Sometimes a kick start is needed... Try restarting the Archive Server service. Then check the server error logs for any problems.

Ryan McVay

I went back and looked and it appears that UNC route got further along the "path" than a mapped drive.

Since I'm rookie at this stuff..is there a specific account that is logging into the NAS drive that I should have write permissions?

Mapped Drive Error:

Event Type:        Error

Event Source:    ArchiveServerService

Event Category:                (10)

Event ID:              0

Date:                     6/22/2012

Time:                     7:30:06 PM

User:                     N/A

Computer:          BART

Description:

Vault: _PDM_Production_Vault

Error while initializing cold storage operation.

Technical details:

Could not create directory: Q:\

UNC

Event Type:        Warning

Event Source:    ArchiveServerService

Event Category:                (10)

Event ID:              0

Date:                     6/21/2012

Time:                     5:30:48 PM

User:                     N/A

Computer:          BART

Description:

Vault: _PDM_Production_Vault

Cold storage operation failed for version 1 of document with ID=321797. Technical details:

Could not copy document 321797 (version 1) to "\\discostu\Engineering\EPDM\ColdStorage\20120621\_Roof Hatch\0004e905\00000001". Error = 5.

Steve Ostrovsky

Looks like UNC paths are not supported for Cold Storage per SPR 405191. Get your VAR to attach you to the SPR so you can be notified when it's applied to a service pack.

Work around is to have Cold Storage run to a local or mapped drive, then use a normal Windows copy/move to get it to the NAS.

Ryan McVay

The mapped drive was our thrid attempt. We mapped the NAS drive as the Q:\ drive. So, is the issue with the NAS drive itself or is it a mapping issue? Should I look into getting a large USB drive and attaching that?

Steve Ostrovsky

My bad - I didn't share the rest of the SPR with you - "At the moment, only local paths work"

Looks like neither the mapped drive nor the UNC path will work, which means youll need to use the workaround I mentioned it you want to store everything on the NAS.

Ryan McVay

Well, I bought a 1TB USB drive and connected that to the server. That allowed me to run Cold Storage. Now I have to setup a routine to get the data from the F:\ drive to the networked NAS device. Sure wish the software would work as it is documented.

I'm not a techie. If there is one out there it sure would be nice to understand the difference between a local drive, mapped drive and UNC! I'd really like to understand why this didn't work.

Steve Ostrovsky

My understating of that is:

Local Drive is a logical, physical hard drive on the server itself

Mapped drive is "remote" drive with a share that allows user to map to it. H, I, L,M would be examples of letters used to map to a drive. If you go to Windows Explorer and select your Computer, then click on Map network drive, you'll get a list of available (and used) letters.

UNC (Universal Naming Convention) is similar to mapped drive except it doesn't use drive mappings. It uses \\computer\share\folder to find the location. You can access this via the Network, then drill down into a server. You'll see the UNC path at the address bar at the top.

I agree that SolidWorks should update their help files to indicate Cold Storage only works in local drives.

Ryan McVay

EPDM Version 11.02.0710

Rich Trnka

I'm thinking of moving the cold store to a NAS also. Has anyone had any issues just creating iscsi connection to satisfy the local drive requirement?