5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 22, 2012 11:10 AM by Keith Vittitoe

Upgrade from 2007 to 2012 and migration to new server

Daniel Cox

Hi

I am trying to plan out the proper path to move SolidWorks to new hardware and upgrade it from 2007 to 2012 at the same time.  This is of course if I am not mistaken and the 2010 version that they told me was on the old server isn't hiding some place since I only found 2007 SP0.0.  Any help you could provide would be great as I am being tossed into this and would rather not mess it up.

Thanks

• Re: Upgrade from 2007 to 2012 and migration to new server
          Valentin Leung

Do you need to upgrade a PDM as well? or EPDM?

Do you have a VAR? mine would just come around and execute the upgrade on call.

Othervise, Clients are pretty much straight forward, if it's new machine, just install a new release of solidworks.

For the PDM, I forgot how it works...

For EPDM, In the admin guide, it explains how to migrate from one server to a new one, the archive files are a simple copy and paste over, the database needs to be exported from the old computer and imported to the new one.

Daniel Cox

Ok I was able to get a little more information.  It appears that all they use SolidWorks for is the design aspect of it.  They have a multi-user license (Requiring a usb dongle in the server) then users run the EXE from the server itself to gain access.  I'm unsure what data or databases the design portion of SolidWorks has and that is the part I am concerned with, I doubt anyone would want to lose 5 years of work.

Keith Vittitoe

Daniel,

The forum will need a lot more info on the install, as Valentin is indicating.  We need to know if the SW license is stand-alone or network, whether pdm is involved, how your company uses the toolbox, how many Users, and details on the SW add-ins - is there CAM software, simulation licenses, etc.  Also, expect issues when migrating from so far back.  For one, the interface was changed in a big way in 2008 and the transition to PhotoView360 was completed in 2010, so all of your parts will turn gray if they are migrated improperly.

Finally, let us know if there are a lot of SW files and if there's a plan to update them.  Most just upgrade them as they are used, but some want to update all of the files at once.

Best Regards,

Keith

Daniel Cox

Keith

If you could point me in the right direction to finding out all the information that I have not gotten yet.  Unfortunatly the person looking to do the upgrade does not have a lot of information even when I specifically asked.  I think I need to do a little detective work but not knowing what clues to look for would make me a pretty poor investigator.  Less Sherlock and more Sheer-Luck.