11 Replies Latest reply on Sep 12, 2012 12:48 PM by Gert Jansen

How many are still on Windows XP with upcoming 2013?

Jason Capriotti

With the upcoming 2013 SolidWorks no longer supporting Windows XP, I was wondering how many are still stuck on Windows XP.

We have 40 SolidWorks licenses installed on 100 users machines and 200 Enterpirse PDM licenses on 500+ machines throughout the organization. After just upgrading to Enterprise PDM 2012 a few weeks ago I logged the OS and got some discouraging numbers.

Windows XP:     68%

Windows 7:       32%

By this time next year I don't expect the situation to be much better. The standard for new machines is Windows 7 but many of the machines out in our factory are really old and they will only replace them when they break. The SolidWorks users are better off since their hardware is replaced more often.

This presents a problem as we pay a considerable sum for the yearly maintenance and while we can hold off upgrading at our yearly scheduled interval, we can't wait forever. If it was just SolidWorks I could see getting around it as the percentages are reversed for our SolidWorks users, but PDM is in so many departments that don't have very high hardware requirements like Accounting, Shop Floor, etc. Just seems like they shoud've given PDM users more XP support considering the user base not all being CAD users.

Anyone else in the same boat?

• Re: How many are still on Windows XP with upcoming 2013?

"The standard for new machines is Windows 7 but many of the machines out in our factory are really old and they will only replace them when they break."

I have many people I work with who use the same approach. Their approach makes me wonder when they are going to start to accept some of the blame for the problems they have competing in the global market.

Jon Banquer

San Diego, CA

http://cadcamtechnologyleaders.blogspot.com/p/fully-integrated-cadcam.html

Daen Hendrickson

We are 100% still on WinXP32. We are a small firm with 4 seats of SW and PDMW. We are on the subscription plan. Lots of "talk" about upgrading someday. But we have been having that discussion for several years now. I don't forsee any action until something actually breaks. It will be interesting when SW2013 issues and we can't go to the dance...

Peter Nichols

Daen Hendrickson wrote:

We are 100% still on WinXP32. We are a small firm with 4 seats of SW and PDMW. We are on the subscription plan. Lots of "talk" about upgrading someday. But we have been having that discussion for several years now. I don't forsee any action until something actually breaks. It will be interesting when SW2013 issues and we can't go to the dance...

I bet the bosses who make the decisions about purchasing new hardware don't hesitate when it comes to replacing the company car, even though nothing has actually broken!

Stephen Reed

We are still 100% on Windows XP 32 bit. Because of this, we are still using SW2010. Hasn't the software pretty well left behind the 32 bit users anyway?  Even though SW2012 runs on XP, I wonder how well with the maximum ram available being 3 gig (with the 3 gig switch activated)?  We have 18 users that have pc's that are 4 years old or older; even at $1700 or so per pc, it's still hard for some companies to approve that much money especially in the current weak economy.

Unfortunately, the don't fix it until it breaks philosophy applies here as well.

Bjorn Hulman

The 'don't fix it until it breaks' philosophy can be an expenseive one. When a CAD machine is down it slows down the production of the very things they're trying to sell. I don't think a CAD machine should really get any older than 3 years before passing it on. Win7 is a great platform for running SW. I don't think anyone is saving anything running older machines on WinXP. Especially not time, which is apparently directly related to money.

Daen Hendrickson

Our CAD machines are going on 7 years old now. I had to work on a top level drawing the other day(s). Task Manager said SW was at 2.3GB. Had to shut down and clear out every possible extra on my machine just to be able to work on the drawing. Took a day and a half to do some pretty basic stuff. Lots of click and wait, save and wait, crash, reboot, repeat.

Since we are contract / project based, our repeating history seems to be: We have a contract so there is $ but no time to update... and then - The contract is over so we have time, but no $ to update due to cost overruns. Next contract... repeat.

Guess I should be happy with the 7 year old CAD workstations because the server room - running our vault, share area, libraries, etc - is hitting about 12 years old now.

One of the big dilemmas IF we were to start upgrading is where do you start? Truly a "house of cards".

Only Wednesday and I am already crying in my beer...

Dougal Hiscock

I'm on SW2009 and XP.  Decided to get off the subscription bus years ago and I haven't regretted it at all.  The time I've saved not upgrading all the time has been huge.  It simply means the bugs in SW2009 and the necessary workarounds I now know well instead of having to learn the new bugs and tricks.

But my assemblies are getting bigger and a true 64bit machine will be needed (current computer is 64bit but physically restricted to 4GB ram).  SW2009 64bit doesn't run well on win7 64bit when I tested it so a new machine will be needed at which point a new solidworks sub makes sense.

Oh the joys of upgrading hardware, software and operating system all at once.  Will it be one or two weeks work I will lose to the transition?

Gert Jansen

We are at Windows XP 64bit with all CAD engineers (15 persons) & the purchasing department (2 persons) - using EPDM 2010 and SW2010 SP5 64bit. All machines are fairly recent and have 8GB RAM.

All others are using XP 32bit but have no access to either EPDM or SolidWorks.

We plan to upgrade the CAD department to Windows 7, EPDM 2012 and SW 2012 late this year / early next year, but not before the last SP is out.

The other departments will stay on Windows XP until their PCs get replaced.

(Usually that means a new PC for the CAD department and the oldest CAD PC moves to the other department)