11 Replies Latest reply on Jun 22, 2012 4:28 AM by Sammy Redshaw

Over 300 New Licenses Of SolidWorks In The UK?

Anyone recently switch from Solid Edge ST to SolidWorks?

Can anyone confirm if this is true?

http://www.solidsolutions.co.uk/SolidWorks-Seminars/SolidWorks-compared-to-Solid-Edge-2457.aspx

"If you are currently using Solid Edge and are considering what SolidWorks may have to offer, this is the event for you. 

Recently, SolidWorks UK has seen a growing number of migrations from Solid Edge, swapping-out over 300 licenses in the last 6 months."

Jon Banquer

San Diego, CA

http://cadcamtechnologyleaders.blogspot.com/p/fully-integrated-cadcam.html

• Re: Over 300 New Licenses Of SolidWorks In The UK?
          Sammy Redshaw

It called marketing. Sounds Like some companies are growing. I canncelled my subscription with them asI get the answer on the forums and the don't seem to know what they are doing. 

I Used Solidedge and Solidworks. The UI in Edge is harder to learn but it is improving, but once you learn how use it is soo much better than Solidworks,tools are better developed and more stable and better feedback of the tool developers. It can integrate into teamcmenter and NX cam seamlessly. You do need a 3d mouse to use edge though. Plus solidworks uses solidedges parametric engine.

Think it's more like very bad marketing and support from Siemens that's the problem from what I've heard by e-mail for quite sometime and now confirmed on the internet. Solid Edge ST resellers were asked to complete and return a document sent to them by Siemens Solid Edge ST management asking how they planned to market Solid Edge ST. Resellers who submitted good proposals were allowed to keep selling Solid Edge ST. All others lost their reseller status. Siemens Solid Edge ST management never told Solid Edge ST customers that they would be losing their reseller. When this went down there were a lot of Solid Edge ST users who felt Siemens screwed them by removing the resellers that they got great support from and never informing them. Many of these Solid Edge ST resellers provided excellent service before they were dumped. Most of the resellers dumped appear to be outside of the US. What now exists is a situation where you have very angry ex Solid Edge ST resellers and lots of very pissed off Solid Edge ST customers who lost resellers that gave very competent Solid Edge support. I'm hearing that some of these resellers were replaced by resellers whose business is mainly NX CADCAM and who have no idea how to support Solid Edge ST.

Jon Banquer

San Diego, CA

http://cadcamtechnologyleaders.blogspot.com/p/fully-integrated-cadcam.html

James Anderson

Thats pretty much what's happened, yes. So now we've made the switch to SW, 2 seats.

Sammy Redshaw

not missing the layer function in solidedge drafting and weldbead tools then? Conics and blended fillets? And unit weights being in the drawing?

James Anderson

Not yet!

Have only worked on a few easy projects in SW so far, have been busy on bigger things that need to be finished off in SE. 

There are bound to be a long list of features that are either better or worse, I'm pretty relaxed about it having had 2 years SW experience before 5 of SE.  I think I'm going to miss the draft environment though. 

I would note the synchronous side of SE was almost entirely useless for us.  Doesn't really work past a certain level of part complexity

Sammy Redshaw

Never used Synchronous much until st3 as the relationship control was difficult to understand.I still think they are using customers to develop the concept.

Things I miss from edge

Things like sketch layer was good for P&ID i saved the P&ID  block library to the draft template.

Layers in Works are related to line type I.E Colour thickness and line style.

ALT select drag dimension to retattach dimensions or center marks or center line in drawing  dosen't happen in works....

Frame tool was brillant as you could build a frame in an assembly and add non frame bits to it. Works uses weldments but you can't Create a weldment in an assembly.which mean going in the multi part body direction ..odd

Being able to going into a drawing veiw and turn on and off component i want to show in an assembly.

Weld tool puts the correct weld in an assembly and shows it in a drawing you can even cut it. Can't do in Works weldbead is virtual and no use for anything.

Lock concentric mates usedful for fixings can't do it in works.

Saving annotation notes was easy. Equation editor was brillant for dumb part. Want to show a valve close or open in an assembly you just set an equation up to rotate the valve handle plane and set it up to be driven in the assembly.

Being able to hack file referances with revision manager was good right click in explorer and open the revision manager to fix links and copy referances over. You can only do in solidworks.

Andrew Swain

I've been a SW user for over 12 years, before that I spent 3 years with SE.

Recent career move and I'm back with SE and I'm missing the SW interface and functionality. It feels like I've been given a tool box with half the tools either broken or missing! (SE drafting function is quite good BUT it doesn't make up for the general lack of functionality). When I first saw the latest SE ST4 I honestly thought a lot of the tools had been hidden by the previous user..... unfortunately they were not there in the first place.

I do think that SE is a reasonable package and if your product range consists of machined or fabricated components then SE is more than capable. However, if you're designing injection moulded parts and assemblies or mechanisms then SW has got to be top of the shopping list. Depending on the version of SW you will also get a half decent rendering package and motion analysis (something that you may feel you don't need right now but you'll be amazed how many marketing and sales people come to rely on this to gain new business or just show off the skills of the designers and engineers). You'll also get E-drawings completely free, perfect for sharing CAD information with customers and suppliers and far better than any 3D PDF file.

I've heard similar stories in the UK of companies being offered free SE to SW exchanges, this is a direct result of a lot of the SE resellers being axed by Siemens and having to move over to SW in order to stay in business. (I understand that there are just 2 SE resellers in the UK). To get a measure on the success of the of the different CAD packages just take a look at the number of job vacancies which require particular CAD skills. Also, look at what mainstream education is using. Personal experience says that engineers with SE exposure are very hard to find.

Overall, I think the Siemens marketing and development team have got it wrong and spent far too much of the suscribers "maintenance" cash on developing SE Synchronous Technology, something that nobody actually asked for and I doubt anyone actually users. Unfortunately, I think that SE is a dying product and if you are currently a SE user who is offered SW for free then grab it with both hands and don't let go!