9 Replies Latest reply on Jun 18, 2012 3:13 PM by Alison Hilditch

Folder Card Not Saving Input

Alison Hilditch

Hi there,

Everything was woring fine when creating new project folders, The serial number would generate and all text fields would fill appropriately...and then I made an edit to the FOlder card. I have no clue what could have done it, but now when I create a project folder, the Folder card pops up as per normal, the serial number generates (Though it took me rebuilding the folder card to get even that),I can fill out all of the information, and upon clicking OK the data card does not contain any information what-so-ever. I can manually edit and save the information once the folder has been created, but I think that defeats the purpose of having the folder card pop up upon creation. I have attached screen shots of of the before OK click and post OK click. I have been combing through the templates and folder card settings to dertermine what could be causing the inputs to not transfer.

I'm still relatively new to EPDM and sometimes the massive amounts of conflicting settings screw me up.

Any help would be awesome!

I am running EPDM 2012

Thanks!

Allie

• Re: Folder Card Not Saving Input
          Keith Vittitoe

Allie,

Hello.  I'll start with a little jargon to better understand the issue.  The card that pops up when creating a new project folder is a Template card (e.g.: rmb->new project).  The card that shows the folder details in Windows Explorer is a Folder card.  When the template card is filled out, that info is passed to a folder card variable, as you noted.  If the folder card shows nothing, then those variables are empty for that project folder, again as you noted.

I would start the trouble-shooting by opening both cards and comparing 1:1 which variables are in use.  I would also makes sure the Default Value is set correctly (prolly should be Text value).

Best Regards,

Keith

Alison Hilditch

Thanks Keith,

That is pretty much my problem; the folder card is not reading the template card. I have rebuilt the card and it is still giving me issues, which makes me think that I am doing something wrong.  If the cards end up working elsewhere, it might be another issue altogether. As for different settings between cards, the serial number is only on one card as per some instruction I recieved. Though, I am still trying to sort out in my head the proper way to put in a serial number (i.e. like not setting the variable input box on both cards to serial number, as it tends to make things go haywire).

Keith Vittitoe

Allie,

I'd start by checking to see if the template card variables are copied to the folder card variables. 

Input to the template card is stored in variables.  However, there is an intermediate step for passing those values to the folder card variables.  Within the template that is creating the folder(s), there are "template variables".  Template variables exist only within the template, so they need to be populated from the Template Card and then handed over from the template variables to the Folder card variables.  Said another way - Input to the template card->temporary template variable->Folder card variable.  So, the "Project Number" variable in the template card is populated automatically with a serial number, but that isn't getting to the "Project Number" variable for the project folder because the serial number value (Project Number) is not getting passed from the template card to the folder card via the template variable.  You may check those variables by navigating to the Files and Folders setup in the template and rmb the folder as shown below and navigate to the copy variables tab.

Lemmeno if that pans out.

Keith

template.JPG

Alison Hilditch

Very good point Keith and Faur. I've spent much time combing through the template variables and as far as I can tell, there is no discrepancy between the variables I want mapped. But I did have a thought. If the mapping isn't technically wrong, could there be something wrong with the variables themselves? Could something like file extensions be causing my problem? I have the majority of them set as: slddrw, sldasm, sldprt, doc, xls, ppt, pptx, mppx, xps, docm, xlsm, pptm, pub, dot, mpp, vsd, docx, xlsx. Is there some extension missing for folder usage to be become valid? I'm just throwing that out there, since I'm running out of things to check. If the problem is not with the template and card variables mapping, maybe it is something simpler, like the card is saved in the wong place (though that would mess with what folders use the card, but as an example something simple to overlook). I find with EPDM, I'm tripping over the tiny nuances.

Alison Hilditch

Oh! and I did end up having to link the individual variables inside a lower folder like you suggested (and in your reference pic)! I thought it would solve my issues, but now I get an error that it can't access the item in the database and it wont create project folders at all...Ugh. New can of worms.

Keith Vittitoe

Allie,

The variables are fine.  Extensions aren't an issue since we are using them for a folder.  Mapping the template card variables to each folder shouldn't cause an error.  

So the folder card variables were blank and now epdm cannot find them.... hmmm.

First, I'd like a screenshot of each step in the template (rmb on the template->Open) - Template Name, Execute As, Template Card, etc. as well as a screenshot just like the one I sent showing how the template variables are mapped.

In the meantime, I recommend creating a brand new template/template card/folder card to see if we can get that to work.  Create the template to just create one new folder in the root of the vault and have one edit box per card - folder card and template input card.  I'd even create a brand new variable to use for that one edit box.  That will be easier to troubleshoot.

Best Regards,

Keith

Alison Hilditch

Alright, Good plan! I've been working on building a brand new Folder card/template anyways and am almost done, so I will create a new template quick and see if I can get those variables to map.  I'll get back to you in a few minutes whith what I find and we can go from there.

Thanks!

Alison Hilditch

Okay! The new template and folder card ended up working perfectly! I went back to the broken folder card, deleted the template and made a new one. The problem was definitely in the Files and Folders setup in the template. With The way I have my folders structured, if I don't have the first three folders filled out with the variables, I was able to recreate the error ( I decided to eliminate the 3rd folder because it really didn't serve much of a purpose, but I digress). So now when I went back to redo the template, EPDM did not pitch a fit and the variables transfered. I'm still not 100% sure why even though I had the variables mapped originally it didn't work, but remaking the template seemed to have cleared up the issue (because it forced the Files and folders setup variables to forge a new link perhaps?)

Keith, Thank you so so much for your help! I really appreciate you taking the time to work through my problem with me!

-Allie

Faur Arama

Hi

When you create the template for new project pay attention to the step where the input values are copied to the folder data card.