2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 14, 2012 9:57 AM by Greg McFadden

Transient Thermal Simulation Issue

Greg McFadden

Folks, I am a bit stumped on the best way to simulate a problem that I have been given.  (Sw2012 SP2 x64)

The problem (simplified) is as follows.    A small diameter (relative to component) heat flux BC spot on a large component (not necessarily flat) is roughly circular in shape.  that spot has a maximum at the center and a minimum at the OD.  That spot traverses across the component in a manner that requires a transient analysis.  What is the best way to set this up in simulation?   

I can not seem to find a good way to put an equation for the spot that varies both in position and time into the simulation tool.  I can approximate the spot using split lines on the surface and fixed values with a transient equation applied, but that still does not get me to translating the spot across the part.   I suppose I can "grid" the surface with split lines and apply a time based curve to each spot but that would be excessively time consuming compared to the value of the simulation.

any help is appreciated

thanks

Greg

• Re: Transient Thermal Simulation Issue
          Chris Michalski

Is the dot small enough that you can approximate it as a single point source of uniform intensity at least?

Regardless, Flow doesn't do motion (which would make it easy to have a moving source), so the only way I see is to define a bunch of sources with time dependence.

If it's a surface source in W/m2 then you can define the watt density based on x, y, z, and time - can you resolve it into a single equation?

• Re: Transient Thermal Simulation Issue
              Greg McFadden

The dot is a distribution over a diameter of 7.5 inches, so no.   This is not in flow simulation, just in the transient thermal module.    I see no way in the transient thermal simulation module (not flowworks) to define the heat flux based on coordinates and time.  THe only opitons I see are "use time curve" and "use temperature curve"