2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 20, 2012 1:24 PM by Alison Hilditch

swxJRNL.swj randomly in vault

Alison Hilditch

Hello,

I have a mysterious journal file that has poped into an empty vault I'm working on. They file (file A) that the journal file relates to has never been in EPDM. I opened file A to do a quick dimension check and custom propery correction from a non vault directory. On top of everything, solidworks has been having trouble with creating journal files as the program thinks that another instance of solidworks is already running (which it is not). The journal file error goes away when I clear my temp file folder, but comes back if I close and re open solidworks. I have not been able to ascertain whether or not solid works is actually failing to create journal files as journal files do show up.

So my main question is:

-What can I do about the journal file in the vault? It will not let me delete it or move it and it is not wanted in that particular folder.

My secondary question:

-Is there a way to fix the journal file error at solidworks start up?

Thank you!

Alison

• Re: swxJRNL.swj randomly in vault
          Kurt Lundstedt

Alison,

SolidWorks will normally create the journal file in:

C:\Documents and Settings\<user name>\Application Data\SolidWorks\SolidWorks <version>

You need to have write access to this folder and it can be changed by modifying the registry.  See the SolidWorks Help topic for "SolidWorks Journal File" for more info.

If you double click the file in Windows Explorer/EPDM and SW is not already running, then it will create the journal file in the folder where you double clicked. It is always best to start SW first before opening files especially if the files are located on network drives.  Since SW is constantly writing data to this file it can really slow things down.

Did you check the Windows Task Manager to see if another instance is running?

• Re: swxJRNL.swj randomly in vault
              Alison Hilditch

Hi Kurt,

Yup, checked task manager and no other instances. I just thought it was weird that I opened no files from the vault (there are no files in there to open). I opened from a local drive and the journal file found it's way into a vault directory. And thanks for pointing me in the direction of modifying the registry. That cleared up a few of my questions.