Customwork is a software from http://www.cadworkssoftware.com/ and it makes it easy add variables to a solidwork file.
Is it possible to change a variable value for all files in one folder instead of opening each file and change it manually?
example, in folder XXX there is files from 0001_YYY.sldprt to 0099_YYY.sldprt and I want to change/add variable spare_part = 1 to all of these files.
The answer is yes, however, the method depends on whether you have the value in the Folder data card.
If the variable also exist on the folder data card, then you can push the values to the files contained in the folder.
Select the parent folder, select Modify > Update > Values in Files... (files MUST be checked out in order to update values)
This brings up a six step wizard:
- Enter file name filter (or leave blank to select all files) Check to include subfolders.
- Filter files by workflow states.
- Uncheck files you do not wish to update from available files list.
- Select variables you wish to push from folder card to files.
- Select configurations (@ for file custom properties)
- Select Finish to execute.
If the variable does not exist in the folder card, you can use a Dispatch action to achieve. (see sample)
SetProjectNumberDispatchExample.acn.zip 606 bytes
Great info, Joy.
Just to be clear - updating variables in this fashion will create new versions of all the updated files, will it not?
Since the files are checked out, then yes it would create a new version when you check them in.
I love these little nuggets in EPDM. Good catch Joy.
And thank you Joy, it doesn't mather if a new version is saved upon check in.
New questions again ,
In a serch card where you have textbox that searches text from one variable. Now it searches for exact matches but I want to change it to search for "word1" and "word2". Example, variable string is "purchased sparepart crank machineXX" if I search for "purchasedt" or "crank" it will find the part but not if I search for "purchased + crank". Is it possible to change it? It works if you use the "variable search control" but then you always have to choose the variable type word1 click "add" and click the variable again to type the second word you want to search for.
Another thing that bothers me is
The checkbox have 3 properties checked, blue and unchecked.. I want the unchecked to do what the blue does, delete the blue property and that unchecked is the deafult setting when you open the search card. Is this possible?
This is my first week workin with a PDM system so my questions may seem a bit odd
After seeing Victors answer I wanted to clarify that my solution is for files that are in the vault.
And as Steve noted, yes, this will create a new version upon checkin.
I use this tool to create new custom properties for all the SolidWorks user using the vault, Here is my approach.
- I make sure that all user have their file checked in to the vault.
- check out all or only the files that need this change.
- Run the change custom properties software.
- Check in all the files, adding a description to the change.
- modify the .PRTDOT;*ASMDOT;*DRWDOT template files, so that all the files created by the user have the new properties.
- create and map the variables in PDM so that the data colected by the variable can be searched.
It's a cool tool to have it has saved me a lot of time.