5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 12, 2012 10:17 AM by Dave Laban

advanced fixture problme

Werther Zhou

Hi all,

I want to simulate a beam which is fixed at one end and rotates along the transverse axis at the other end, like the picture below.c1.png

How to set the rotating fixture? There is no such options there.

Thanks very much!!!

• Re: advanced fixture problme
          Anthony Botting

You can use the split line function and advanced fixture to create a "pinned-end". This little video from GoEngineer shows one way to do it:

SolidWorks Simulation - Pinned-End Support (Solid Elements)

http://youtu.be/dDyodkC_jWE

Werther Zhou

Dear Anthony,

Thank you very much! The video gives me much information, but I do not think it solves my problem.

I want to simulation the situation that one end of the beam rotates and keeps being a plane, but the advanced feature only gives two along directions and on normal direction, no rotation option. Can not the solidworks do the job?

best

Anthony Botting

Yes. You only need an edge or a split line. This way, the nodes will line-up along the split line. If you apply dir1, dir2 and dir3 =0 along the split line, the body will be able to rotate around the axis of the split line. I hope that helps!

Werther Zhou

Hi anthony,

Yes, I got your point and I can repeat what you said. But after I define the advanced fixture, I should define a force to make the object deformed, am I right? However, what I intend to do is just use two fixtures, one end fixed and the other end rotating a small angle but still keeping in a plane, to see its deformation. Can I realise that situation?

Thanks very much!!!

best regards

Dave Laban

Sounds like you want to be using the Remote Displacement (External Load -> Remote Load/Mass...) rather than a fixture to achieve that, if I'm understanding correctly.

Simply set the centre of rotation in the middle of the face you want to move, have null translation values and specify your rotation value.  This then moves the face but keeps it (almost perfectly) planar.