5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 18, 2012 11:17 AM by Dan Bertschi

Upcoming jobs/social site for SW Users... any input?

Dan Bertschi

Hi Everyone!

I'm currently in the process of building a social site, specifically for SolidWorks users.  The design intent is not to compete with the corporate SW Forums, but rather enhance and fill some gaps.   It will not be a tech-help site, but more social/career/job-search related.  I do have most of the site mapped already, and am working on the build.  However, I'm still open to input...  such as, I just noticed a request for chatting on these forums.  I'm planning to have chat on the new site, but it will start small.

You're welcome to post feedback here, or email me directly.  Thanks!

• Re: Upcoming social site for SW Users... any input?
          Gerald Fought

Good idea, Dan...especially the "social/career/job-search" area.

Scott McFadden

Daniel,

Cool idea.  My thoughts are if you are not competing against this forum, then I would think you will have to monitor those that try to pose technical questions on it.

Also, if you are posting or at least supplying the opportunity to post career/job searches are they going to be world wide and also offer the ability to do local searches to where ever the user is?

I know this forum offers something like this.

Are you also going to provide links to various SW sites?

Dan Bertschi

Hi Scott,

Thanks for your input! Yes, it will be world-wide, I'm working on search capabilities, and will hopefully have a good UI for this. My apologies to the non-English-speaking folks around the world.  All I can say is, if there is a demand for multi-language support, I will work to suppport it.  However, my initial goal is just to get something useful up & running.

Yes, there will be links to other SW & resources.  My vision is to create a quality 'daily stop' for SW users looking for work.  I went down that road last year, and I think I can provide some help, based on my experiences.

Re: tech issues... they will most likely be removed w/ a response to join the SW Forums.  There's no sense in duplicating a great resource, and it is beyond the scope of the site plans.

Keep watching for more info.  I'll do my best to get the word out when it's live.

Harold Brunt

Go for it but keep in mind that there are many sites already out there that you will be trying to draw from (a quick search on LinkedIn came back with 218 Groups for "SolidWorks").

Dan Bertschi

Hi Harold,

Thanks... I can't believe I forgot about Linked-In... While there are 200+ 'SolidWorks' groups, there are only 30+ 'SolidWorks Jobs' groups.  After a short review of them, there seems to be quite a bit of non-SW content & advertising there.  My goal is to keep the site VERY focused on SW job openings and other SW-based resources.  As a private, monitored site, hopefully this can be achieved to better help those looking for SW jobs.

Keep watching...