15 Replies Latest reply on Jun 6, 2012 4:57 PM by Eric Powell

Centered Notes

Eric Powell

I have a note on a drawing that I'm trying to place in the center of a circle.  I've changed the note's format to "Center Align" and "Middle Align" but the note's center is still not exactly center.  The vertical alignment options are top center, middle center, and bottom center.  I've made sure to grab the middle center handle when moving the note around.

• Re: Centered Notes
          Glenn Schroeder

Eric,

I don't know of any way to establish a relationship between a note and an element in a sketch or drawing view.  You spoke about grabbing the middle handle so I'm assuming you're trying to position it while the note is active, but I've had better luck with closing out a note, then clicking on it anywhere to drag it.  Then you can zoom way in and drag it so it looks right in relation to your circle.

Steve Ostrovsky

Note sure if this is what you want but...

• Draw in a centered rectangle and position where you need it (note will go in center
            • RMB on your note and select Snap to Rectange Center
            • Select all four sides of rectangle

You rnote should now be centered.

Centered Note.jpg

Richard Doyle

Hi Steve,

I was going to post the same solution, but if you look closely, the vertical alignment of the text is still off.

I tested a couple of different fonts and found the same issue.  I've reported it to the drawings team.

Richard

Eric Powell

Thank you both.  That is close but wow what a pain.  I have a lot of holes to label...

Erik Bilello

When I grab the center (or any other) handle of a note (make sure you have a drag handle, it turns orange) and drag it around a drawing view I see the different relationship symbols pop up by the curser as I cross various elements, edges, verticies, midpoints, endpoints etc,  including circle centers.  The drag handle will snap to the element when the symbol is showing.  I can't form an actual sketch type relationship, but if I lock the note (anchor button in the note property manager) AND the note belongs to the view it's on, it will stay where I placed it when the view is moved.

In the example you can just see the drag handles showing that the bounding box is centered in the sketched circle.  I added the center mark and reduced the circle size to fit the bounding box after I placed the note.  As Richard noted above the text is slightly above center, I assume this is a bug.  When you are positioning a note (also sketch points in sketches) you may notice that you have to hit the edge of the circle first, then the center will highlight and you can snap to it.

CENTERED NOTE.PNG

Glenn Schroeder

Eric,

I gave this some thought on the way home yesterday.  I didn't know about the "Snap to Rectangle Center", but have you tried making a block of your note, then editing it and moving the insertion point to the center of the note?  You would still probably need to eyeball placing the insertion point but at least when it was done your note would snap to points.  Especially since you said you have a lot of them.

Eric Powell

Yeah, still doesn't work.  The "text box" gets centered but the text within the box isn't centered.  You can see this when you increase the size of the text box.

Michael McKee

just make a note with a circle border, make it centered horizontal and centered vertical.centerd.jpg