21 Replies Latest reply on Oct 3, 2006 11:48 AM by

Full Path Name

In the menu click File/Reload, in the open window check "Show full paths" box (for Part and Assembly Documents).
      Tony Z.
      Del Medical
      tzverev@delmedical.com
        • Full Path Name
          I second that! I would realy like to see the complete diectory name at the top of the window. This is an option in other programs I have used, namely Rhinoceros.
          • Full Path Name
            That will show me what the full path is if I go to the Reload screen. I can find the path if I need to. I would like the full path displayed on the top of the Solidworks window.

on 2006 5 07:53 TonyZ wrote:
            > In the menu click File/Reload, in the open window check "Show full paths" box (for
            > Part and Assembly Documents).
            > Tony Z.
            > Del Medical
            > tzverev@delmedical.com
            • Full Path Name
              Thanks Tony, this is a helpful tip , I was also wanting to see it displayed in the windows header
              • Full Path Name
                Is there a way to display the Full path name of a SW document in the windows header
                • Full Path Name
                  Sure it can be done by using some Windows API calls but why do you want this?
                  • Full Path Name
                    I work on a lot of different parts that have similar names. I would find it helpful if I could see the full directory path on the top of the window. Rhinoceros does this and I found it very helpful.

on 2006 10 22:17 solidair wrote:
                    > Sure it can be done by using some Windows API calls but why do you want this?
                    • Full Path Name
                      I will take a look at your macro tomorrow. I am not sure the source code for my exe would help you much. All it does is take whatever text is put on the clipboard and places it on the SolidWorks titlebar. I not sure what happens if you have more than one session of SolidWorks running.
                      • Full Path Name
                        Hi
                        I think that if we could catch the repaint event of the SW windows, it would be great because sometimes the title bar come back to the original one. But I can't catch it with SW events.
                        For your source code it's only for my knowledge.
                        Have a nice day....

################################
                        Stef
                        SW 2006 SP4.1 WinXP Pro SP2
                        www.technaxindustrie.com
                        • Full Path Name
                          Attached is a SolidWorks macro and an exe file that together sets the SolidWorks Window Title to include the active document's full path and name. Both the macro and exe file should be saved in the same folder. It is not automatic but you could create a macro button and run it each time you change documents
                          • Full Path Name
                            I tried SetWindowTitle. For me it emptied the window title and left it blank.

Dwight Livingston
                            SW2006 SP3.1 / Adept 6.0 / XP Pro SP2
                            2 gB ram / Quadro FX1100
                            • Full Path Name
                              Can you tell me exactly how you ran the code?
                              • Full Path Name
                                I double clicked it in the Windows Explorer window.

Dwight Livingston
                                SW2006 SP3.1 / Adept 6.0 / XP Pro SP2
                                2 gB ram / Quadro FX1100
                                • Full Path Name
                                  The only disadvantage I can see, is that you might run out of header space pretty quickly. Imagine editing sketch1 in part1 incontext of assembly1. the header would read
                                  Sketch1 of g:\drawings\models\raw goods\part1.sldprt in g:\drawings\models\assemblies\final asy\assembly1.sldasm
                                  • Full Path Name
                                    I would rather have it run off the screen then not have it at all.

on 2006 1 16:46 John Burrill wrote:
                                    > The only disadvantage I can see, is that you might run out of header space pretty
                                    > quickly. Imagine editing sketch1 in part1 incontext of assembly1. the header would
                                    > read
                                    > Sketch1 of g:\drawings\models\raw goods\part1.sldprt in
                                    > g:\drawings\models\assemblies\final asy\assembly1.sldasm
                                    >
                                    • Full Path Name
                                      I was thinking more like windows explorer does it , when you check the display full path option you see DIR1\DIR2\ITEM_NAME in the header. According to our IT guy this option exists in windows explorer but is not available with any of the windows applications....word.excel ect. It can be done in ....gasp....proE
                                      • Full Path Name
                                        Hi
                                        Here it is a macro that you should put in the same folder as the solidair macro's (just delete the .txt at the end).
                                        Then modify the shortcut you use to launch solidworks:
                                        -RMB on the link
                                        -Properties
                                        -In the target field after "C:\Program File\Solidworks\SLDWKS.exe" add the /m switch (witch allow to launch a mcro on each startup) and then the complete path to the autostart.swp file (path with quotes if you have space in the path).
                                        I've add some notifications but it's not perfect. Sometimes, you get back with the old title bar. Maybe solidair can help us? How works your SetWindowTitle.exe? Can you published the source code?
                                        Thanks
                                        Hope this help

Stef
                                        www.technaxindustrie.com
                                        • Full Path Name
                                          Thank you so much! I used your macro and it works great. That is exactly what I was looking for. Now, can you tell me how to make this macro run whenever I start Solidworks? Thanks.

on 2006 2 22:31 solidair wrote:
                                          > Attached is a SolidWorks macro and an exe file that together sets the SolidWorks Window Title
                                          > to include the active document's full path and name. Both the macro and exe file should be
                                          > saved in the same folder. It is not automatic but you could create a macro button and run it
                                          > each time you change documents
                                          • Full Path Name
                                            You must run the macro. Sorry if I was not clear about that. The swp file gets the path of the active model and the exe file actually changes the SolidWorks titlebar.
                                            • Full Path Name
                                              As Greg pointed out, to really work at startup, notification code is required otherwise it will still only run once and since there would probably be no active docuement yet, nothing would happen. I only wrote the code as an example to show that it could be done, I have no plans right now to make it an application as I am involved with another project. Sorry
                                              • Full Path Name
                                                If you add a notifications to the macro it would be able to run whenever you start or open a Solidworks document.
                                                • Full Path Name
                                                  I will give you something on Monday.

Stef
                                                  www.technaxindustrie.com