0 Replies Latest reply on May 28, 2012 7:41 PM by Bill McEachern

Surprise in a good way

Bill McEachern

I just thought I would toss out some good news as most posts are problem related. I ran a >1 MDOF, static NL problem with large displacement, plasticity and contact enabled. I was trying to establish margins for both limit and ultimate loads on essentially a sinlge bolt connection with a significant bending moment and not much depth on the bolt. The good news is that this problem ran in like 10 minutes. I don't know about you guys but I was stuned. Yeah the hardware set up was OK, dual hex core Xeons and 12 GB of RAM - slow disc though. Thsi was done in 2012 SP2. Interstingly, the stresses produced by the NL study to demonstrate the limit margin - no stresses over yield and small displacements (though large displacement was enabled in the solution) - were significantly lower than the same study run in the Static study - like 30 ksi lower at the peak. The ultimate load case with some plasticity only upped the stress by a few KSI on a 66% increase in load. The set up had initial contact all around (size on size) with surface to surface contact. Initial load step was 50%, auto stepping on.