AnsweredAssumed Answered

Exporting a BOM without needing to open up my whole assembly.

Question asked by David Steinweg on May 24, 2012
Latest reply on Jun 25, 2012 by Deepak Gupta

Hey,

I'm new to Solidworks and I have a question that I hope can be answered. I hope that this is in the proper discussion thread. If not I can move it.

I have an assemby (about 2000 parts) that has been getting put together for a while. We are now moving into building an inventory system that will keep track of the manufacturing. Within this assembly I have a configuration entited "Hardware." This configuration just shows hardware such as nuts and bolts. I know I can export a BOM to my inventory system but I really don't want to have to open up my huge "Hardware" assembly and make a new BOM everytime I add a new part or someone else does. I know I could just add it into my inventory system but I really think there must be a better way. Is there a way that I can "ask" Solidworks to spit out an updated list (at any given point in time) in an order simular to below?

Assembly

Sub-Assembly 1

Part A               Quantity: X

Part B               Quantity: Y

.                       .

Sub-Assembly 2

Sub-Assembly 3

And so on...

Basically I am wanting a list of the quantity of a certain part used within a given assembly. A given part may be used within more than one assembly.

For the inventory system I am needed to specify the total quantity of a given part within the whole assembly but also in what assembly it is coming from.

If it helps, each part within the "Hardware" configuration has a "hardware" part property within the custom part property.

This maybe a completely dumb question and I'm sorry if it is but I'm really new to Solidworks so I am still learning how this program works.

Thanks for any help!

Outcomes