15 Replies Latest reply on Sep 25, 2012 1:17 PM by John Burrill

ASSY COLORS ARE NOT EXPORTING INTO 2D DRAWING

Arkmando Arratia

HI GUYS,

I HAVE A SOMEWHAT LARGE 3D ASSY AND I'M DOING A 2D DRAWING WITH IT. MY PROBLEM IS THAT WHEN I ENABLE "USE MODEL COLOR FOR HLR/HLV IN DRAWINGS" OPTION, SOME OF THE PARTS DO CHANGE COLORS MATCHING THE 3D MODEL, BUT MOST OF THEM DON'T. I'VE TRIED RESOLVING ALL COMPONENTS INCLUDING SUB-ASSEMBLIES, USING HIGH QUALITY COMETIC TREAD DISPLAY, CHANGING DISPLAY STYLES, ETC.

ANY IDEAS WHY THIS MAY BE HAPPENING?

I HAVE ADDED A COUPLE OF JPEGS.

REGARDS,

ARMANDO

• Re: ASSY COLORS ARE NOT EXPORTING INTO 2D DRAWING
          Chris Challinor

no answer to this question.............I have the same issue.

It seems that the lighting in the 3d effects the 2d drawing.............IMO a 2d drawing should have no light source effects and just show the color without the effect of light source direction

Kenneth Barrentine

The screenshot of your model shows solids not wireframe.

"ALL" of the models (parts) must have the option enabled.

In the model; Tools> Options> Document Properties> Model Display> Apply same color to wireframe, ...

I'm guessing some models don't have this enabled.  yes / no / maybe?

Chris Challinor

If I could give you the correct answer I would, thank you that did it to 95 %................still has lighting effects on the 2D drawing washing out the color.

Chris Challinor

Spoke too soon, looked like it did but.....

I also found out when you save as a Photoshop File the same issue happens.

In my head this is simple, one click and all lighting effects go away and the view or save as goes to the printer in the exact color I expect.

Seems a waste of time to go find out what the RBG numbers are for a Pantone color only to have SW wash it out with unwanted lighting effects.

I do not need my corners being highlighted, I dont need a shadow making my whites turn grey, I don't need my background in my Photoshop file (why the controls for that greyed out in options?), I WANT JUST THE EXACT COLORS I TOLD THE PART TO BE.

Yes, I know graphic artists should be making the artwork file....don't have one.

Real view is off, shadows are off, deleted every light I could find, turned of ambient, did what Ken suggested............nothing works to give me just the colors I want. No BS special effects, just RAW colors..............

Ranting, frustrated................sorry......but why make something so simple be so hard to do.

John Burrill

I sympathize Chris but Color Process isn't what Solidworks is for.

We did a control panel a few months ago and had the same problem.  We'd get highlights on the domed features of the silkscreen  What we ended up doing was creating a drawing and then applying solid fills with color to the different regions on the drawing view and then exported that sheet as an AI file for our arthouse.  It was difficult and time consuming-even for a relatively simple part.  the edges of the regions kept coming to the front because Solidworks doesn't do invisible strokes or gradients or typography

Now we use Illustrator to create our color process file, export them as PNG's and apply those to our models as decals.  It saves a lot of time and looks really good.