3 Replies Latest reply on May 23, 2012 10:55 PM by Jerry Steiger

Memory

Emil Tietje

We recently upgraded to Win7 x64 with 12G of ram.  SolidWorks 2012, plus other programs, do not appear to be using more than 4G.  Currently, I am running a simulation and would expect SolidWorks to use more then 4G.  Is it possible to increase the ram that is available to SolidWorks? 

Thanks

• Re: Memory
          Wayne Tiffany

I don't know that you can force SW to use more ram.  I have seen my ram usage go to 14.2 Gb total system when I loaded large models.

WT

Anna Wood

SolidWorks is using as much as it needs.  If it needs more it will use it.  I have opened up models that used 20 gigs of RAM.

Cheers,

Anna

Jerry Steiger

Emil,

You might want to ask this in the Simulation forum. It may be that Simulation has some options that control memory usage, since memory was a big problem for simulation programs in the old days. I know that ANSYS sometimes seems to start using swap space even though I still seem to have lots of memory available. I haven't followed my own advice and tried to find settings that I can change to improve the performance.

Jerry Steiger