4 Replies Latest reply on May 30, 2012 3:49 AM by Uday Panchal

Scan to 3D feature

Uday Panchal

Hi,

So far I have not used scan to 3D feature as I my subscription is of solidworks professional. Now I want to upgrade it to access scan to 3D feature.

Please comment whether this feature is really worth while.

I know there are other softwares like Rhino 3D or Rapidworks which are specifiaclly designed for this task.

Please give some light to this querry as I need to buy it wisely.

Regards,

Uday panchal

• Re: Scan to 3D feature
          Timothy Holman

I work with serveral people that use it.  Solidworks does well at importing the point cloud data and giving you tools to make it usable and creating geometry .  Just dont get too crazy with the size (GB) of your scan data. Talk to the VAR you use to see about getting a demonstration of the functionality.  maybe they could get you an evaluation of the Premium software so you can try it out. 

Uday Panchal

Hi Timothy,

Thanks for the reply. I gather people work with rapidworks for pointcloud data processing to create solid models.

I would like to know whether it's prudent to upgrade my solidworks license from professional to premium or just simply buy rapidworks.

Please advice

Regards,

Uday

Kevin Quigley

What scanner are you using? We have a Next Engine and use the software that comes with it. There is a version of RapoidWorks that comes with that scanner and it has a lot of the functionality of the more expensive standalone version but only handles NextEngine file types (I think). We trialled it a few years back and it was very good but not for us.

I tend to treat the scans/ppiont clouds as a modelling 3d underlay, in the same way you use a sketch picture as a 2D sketch underlay. We don't have Premium, just Pro like yourself, but its no great loss. I don't think Scan to 3D has had much development since it came out. Top be frank, there are far better tools for doing that kind of work. Rhino, has excellent point cloud handling tools. Speaking personally I'd never upgrade to Premium for Scan to 3D alone - would be a waste of money. Buy Rhino instead, or if you are a nExt Engine user, buy the cut down RapidWorks.

In any case, try them all and see what works best for you.

In any case, if you don't have a lot of experience with scanning don't expect to scan a part, then magically have a fully featured surfaced model create automatically. When I bought the Next Engine that was what I naively thought we might be able to do. No. Treat it as a 3D underlay for standrad modelling and you will be happy. If you want an all singing all dancing semi automated solution you need to spend a shed load of money on Geomagics, not to mention a high end scanner solution.

At the moment we are experimenting with Rhino and Tsplines as a more automated reverse engineering solution. Early days yet but it looks promising for what we need it for.

Uday Panchal

Hello Kevin,

Thanks for the advice!!

I've ordered Next engine scanner with rapidworks the rev engg software.

Eureka!! I'm excited to receive the shipment.

Once being comfortabe using software & the scanner I will let you know how good the experience was.

Regards,

Uday