4 Replies Latest reply on May 27, 2012 2:38 PM by Jerry Steiger

Import a curve to a new coordinate syste

Ronald Plesh

How do I import a curve to a created coordinate system?  I have an Excel file that imports the points perfect, but the default coordinate system does not line up the curve properly.  I would rather not have to transpose (it is created in another program and exported) all my data to match the orientation of the default origin to get my curve in the correct spot.  I am going to have to do this to many parts that will all require specific origins for alignment.

Thanks.

SW2009

• Re: Import a curve to a new coordinate syste
          Lenny Bucholz

Do these curves drive the shape of the part you are making?

If so import them first before you start  creating features and build the rest from the curves location, then when done move the whole solid boby to the correct coordinate.

or regen all the curves in the other program to the coordinates you want in the part file, then bring them in.

or after you get the curves in, drop it into an assembly and edit the part in the assembly at the coordinate you want the part at and build there.

if you are getting the drift there is not a simple...move the curve, if it needs editing it will always be from where the text file generated it.

• Re: Import a curve to a new coordinate syste
            Jerry Steiger

Ronald,

SolidWorks doesn't make it easy to work with coordinate systems. I'm not very clear about the details of what you are trying to do, but here are a couple of methods to change the coordinate system of a part. One is to use the Move Body command. I don't know if this works if all you have is a Curve, instead of a Body. I suspect it doesn't. A work around for that would be to make a body, say an Extruded Surface based on the Curve. Another is to make a Coordinate System, then export the part with the option to use the coordinate system, and finally import the part. This will bring it in using the new coordinate system.

Jerry Steiger