2 Replies Latest reply on May 10, 2012 12:24 PM by Dave Gage

Patterns in 3D Sketches

Dave Gage

Hello all,

So I've been doing some research, and it doesn't seem like you can pattern sketch elements in a 3D sketch.  I'm trying to patten multiple complicated sketch elements in both the x and y directions, my only solution was to copy, paste, and align the axis either the y or x axis (depending on the direction of the pattern), manually add the desired pattern distance to either the x or y direction, then copy and past the z dimensions.  This is very a very cumbersome technique, and it is only a matter of time before someone makes a mistake using this method.  Is there any better way to quickly and precisely pattern sketch elements in a 3D sketch?

In the picture below, the blue circles are the components of the 3D sketch that I would like to pattern.  The yellow surfaces are the surfaces in which the centers of the circles are located, as you can see this is not something that is easy to manually replicate.  The red circles are other planar sketches that I have already patterned.  (For a better view, I have attached the image file "3D Sketch.JPG")

Thanks,3D Sketch.JPG

Dave

• Re: Patterns in 3D Sketches
          Jerry Brian

I guess you can't do patterns.

Most relations that are available in 2D sketching are available in 3D sketching. The exceptions are: Symmetry, Patterns & Offset

Can you pattern the finished part? The sketches will be there. 

• Re: Patterns in 3D Sketches
              Dave Gage

Patterning the feature works for the solid modeling, but it's necessary for me to have the sketch components in the correct spot.  It's not the end of the world for me to sketch all of the individual circles on their seperate planes manually, it's just time consuming and I was wondering if someone would have a alternate/better solution.  I was also wondering if anyone knew why solidworks won't let you pattern sketch elements in a 3D sketch.