5 Replies Latest reply on May 11, 2012 7:29 AM by Katie Hughes

BOM Order Problem

Katie Hughes

I'm not sure if I should be asking here or in the Bill of Materials discussion, but I'll try here first.

Our BOM in our part or assembly file is setup in order of steps. The first machining or assembly part is the first item listed in the BOM. We would like to keep it in that format because those on our shop floor read it like directions for the part. Anyway, our problem seems to be the BOM setup in our vault.  The BOM looks correct in the part/assembly file in SolidWorks, but when you look at it from the vault on the 'Bill of Materials' tab, everything seems to be out of order. (see attached image)

I remember in the EPDM training book it said that SolidWorks BOM displays are controlled by the SolidWorks BOM tables, not by the Bill of Materials definitions found in the administration tool. So I'm a little confused as to why the BOM is correct when looking at it in the part/assembly file, but the vault shows the items in an order that does not match the SolidWorks BOM order.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

• Re: BOM Order Problem
          Jim Sculley

The order of items in the EPDM computed BOM has no relationship to the order in the actual SW assembly file or drawing BOM.  If you want a BOM where the order matches the BOM table in a drawing, you have to specifically select that BOM in the drop down on the BOM tab:

drawing-bom.png

If you want this behavior for assemblies, you will have to actually insert a SW BOM table in the assembly file.

This is just one of several areas where EPDM is somewhat disconnected from SolidWorks.

Jim S.

Katie Hughes

Jim,

That looks like what I am trying to accomplish.  I have a few questions for you though... sorry! How do you get those BOMs to show up in the drop down menu? Are they linked somehow to the assembly/part?

I know adding to the Bill of Materials tree in PDM will add options to the drop down menu, but I don't see how you were able to add that to the list.

Thanks for your help! I really appreciate it.

Jim Sculley

The bills in the drop down list are Bill Of Material tables in the actual SolidWorks file.  Once you add a bill to a drawing and check it in, the bill will appear in the drop down.  If you rename a file, you may end up with more than one bill, which is why there are two (Assem1.SLDDRW  and 499021.slddrw) in my screen shot.

Jim S.

Joy Garon

Hi Katie,

I guess I need to clarify the training materials. I meant that the settings (Exclude from bill of materials, etc) are respected.

As Jim mentioned, if this is desired it may be best to use a SolidWorks BOM (the BOM within a SolidWorks assembly or drawing.

Whatever appears in the SolidWorks table will appear in the BOM tab when you select the SW BOM from the pulldown.

SWBOM.jpg

Katie Hughes

Jim and Joy,

Thank you so much for your help with this! It's not ideal to place our BOMs on our assemblies/drawings, but it definitely helps get everything in the correct order (and that's exactly what we were looking for).  The pictures and descriptions were really helpful.  I didn't know that placing a BOM inside of a drawing/assembly would give you another option in PDM.

Thanks for all of your help! I really appreciate you taking time to help me out.

Sincerely,

Katie