1 Reply Latest reply on May 27, 2012 4:24 AM by Kevin Corr

Is it possible to set a limit for interference detection with Simulation?

David Maxham

Although the interference detection tool is valuable for finding improper inteferences between components of an assembly, often we have components that are connected together with press fits.  A good example would be a PEM fastener or standoff.  But when I try to mesh a model that has any interference between components, I get the warning about interference and the mesher fails.  My workaround to date has been to modify the parts, like reducing the diameter of the standoff's portion that penetrates the printed-circuit board so that there is no interference. 

Is there a way to set a limit for interference detection so that press fits between parts are ignored and SW Simulation can mesh the assembly without crashing?  I've tried using the "ignore interference" option when running the interference detection, but that doesn't help.  I'd like to be able to set a minimun threshold to avoid having to manually modify each and every part that is press fit or otherwise justifiably interfering with another component.  I've searched past postings but couldn't find anything directly related to this question.

Thanks,

• Re: Is it possible to set a limit for interference detection with Simulation?
          Kevin Corr

One possibility is to supress/exclude from analysis the pem and use a bolt connector. The bolt allows you to idealize the effects of the screw and pem but it might not predict failure since there have been force accuracy discrepencies with shell mesh bolt connectors. Also, the press fit strain is absent. This would cut down on the artificial modifications to permit meshing if you have a lot of pem inserts in pcbs. Plus, if the holes were made with hole wizard, the bolt connector can identify the collection of edges.