45 Replies Latest reply on Sep 14, 2012 3:08 AM by Tom Helsley

PDM - Little things Discussion.

Don Van Zile

I’m starting this thread to open the discussion to little things in your day to day workflow with PDM that could help boost your productivity and/or save mouse clicks. What ‘little’ things can users think of that would be helpful to your routine while using PDM?

Don

Product Definition

• Re: PDM - Little things Discussion.
          Kenneth Barrentine

are you talking workgroup or enterprise?

perhaps relocate this discussion.

WPDM

the double warning when overwriting a revision.

if i select read from file at top no warning

if i select individually from cell, then warning.

then another warning when i finally selecting check-in button

i have more pet peeves that i'll try to remember and post later.

Message was edited by: Kenneth Barrentine

Don Van Zile

I figured PDM could be combined into one thread but just make mention within which one.  I think it will be good for users who may not be on one can see any issues/benefits may be with the other.  Also, one person may be familiar with an issue or concern of the other.  Hope this won't cause confusion.

Don

Jeff Holliday

I don't see a great reason for not separating them. There are people that create/answer discussion threads without realizing there is a differentiation. This is understandable since there is VERY SELDOM any mention of WPDM in any SWorks documents. Whenever there is a topic of an upcoming webinar, etc it is always for the Enterprise version. My company does not use Enterprise yet despite it being very worthwhile.

Please don't make us search thru a discussion thread to ascertain which product is being referred to.

Kenneth Barrentine

WPDM

not necessarily a mouse click / workflow issue but ...

would like to be able to sort by file name and not file type.

;/

Kenneth Barrentine

WPDM

set the default behavior for "Do not change if document is a link".

would love to have this "unchecked by default" or have it "remember" what was last used (checked or unchecked).

or have a switch in the options to set default behavior.

Kenneth Barrentine

WPDM

When using CTRL+Select have Change Lifecycle Status as a selection.

Kenneth Barrentine

WPDM

i mentioned sorting by file name earlier.

on that note ...

would really love to have the drawing displayed as the parent component instead of as a child.

perhaps provide an option to display as parent or child.

Daen Hendrickson

WPDM

In the Check In Document window, you can't use the Alt-C keyboard shortcut to Check In if you have just pasted text into the Note column. You must tab out of the column first. This isn't the case with other columns in the form.

Daen Hendrickson

WPDM

We regularly attach non-SW files to parent SW files in the vault with the "Check In From Disk" option. Typical attachments are PDF, Excel, Word, and AutoCAD documents.

The first time a non-SW file is checked in much manual typing is required in the check-in form to fill out descriptions, part numbers, etc. It would be nice if you could pre-poulate the cells with copies of the info from the parent document being attached to - at least as a starting point.

On subsequent checkins of these documents I still have to RMC on the document in the vault and select Check In from Disk. The "Select File to Check In" dialog appears but I have to manually select or type in the name of the file. The vault is smart enough to open the dialog mapped to the current working director. It would be really great if the vault could populate the form with the name of the file I RMCed to launch it in the first place.

Once the file is selected and the Check In Document dialog opens, 99% of the time the line for the document is RED and I have to check the "check in this document" box then click the Check In button on the Warning dialog (A document named @#$#@$ already exists on the vault but appears to be a different document than this one. Do you want to check in this document anyway?). If I have ownership and say I want to check in from disk, the process should be a little more streamlined - say mimic that of a SW file!

Daen Hendrickson

WPDM

As noted in some other posts:

WPDM has no recognition of virtual subassemlblies in the vault view.

WPDM has no recognition of master model save bodies type relationships.

Reporting has no recognition of weldment cutlist items.

Daen Hendrickson

WPDM

The order of the columns in the Check In dialog can be dragged to different positions while the dialog is open, but the new positions don't seem to stick. It always opens with them in the default order:

Options; Number, Description; Revision; Owner; Project; Status; Note; Info.

We use life cycles which control our revision schemes. When I release a document, I am changing the lifecycle from a preliminary state to the released state and the revision modifies from a numeric to "A" as the initial Release revision.

In an effort to stream line the check-in, I try to use the tab / arrow keys to progress across the check in form instead of clicking in each cell. The problem lies in that the lifecycle status column comes AFTER the revision column. I can't set the revision to "A" and continue across the form because the lifecycle is still set at "In Development". I have to bypass the revision and set the status to Released, then backtrack to the revision column and set it to - in our case - Next Secondary Revision. And although the tab key will take you Left to Right in the form, Shift Tab will not reverse the direction (but arrow keys will).

So: please allow for arranging the column order and having it stick. Please add the Shift-Tab functionality.

Thanks,

Daen

Daen Hendrickson

WPDM

When checking in a new SW file for the first time AND that file is a parent or child of a file already existing in the vault, unless I preselect the project where I want the new file located it defaults to the first project in the vault (alphabetically). I would like to have a setting that the file will default to project its related files are in.

Not sure of the details...

If there is a parent only - default to that project

Parent and child - default to parent project if different from child

Perhaps have an easily editable vault option - per user - to set a "current" project. All new check-ins could default to that project...

Daen

Jody Stiles

Do I get to chime in?

WPDM

1. There's no Read Only/Write option for Collaboration in Drawings
                                  2. There's no easy way to check in multiple files at once
                                  3. The search function will not find files that are in folders that the user has no read access to, this leads to duplication of effort becuase the user has no idea the file already lives in the vault.  Search should find the file, tell you where it is, and that you have no access to it.
                                  4. The Folder list drop down within the save location column does not fully populate like the folder list drop down at the top of the window
                                    Jerry Steiger

Don,

Thanks for asking!

WPDM

Why doesn't "Save and Check In" just save a part if it hasn't been saved?

Jerry Steiger

Daen Hendrickson

WPDM

SW2011 SP3

The conditions for this are a bit obscure so stick with me:

A Part/Assembly and Drawing already exist in the vault. A PDF copy of the drawing is attached to the drawing in the vault. (Our files are named as the Part Number and the PDF has the same name with the .PDF extension).

The file needs updating. The part/assembly file and the drawing file have no ownership in the vault. However, the PDF attached to the drawing is owned by someone else.

Take ownership of the part/assembly and drawing file. Make changes and update the drawing. Save locally as usual.

Now perform a save-as-copy on the drawing and create a PDF of the drawing. The creation will occur but when it is completed, the SW drawing file will change status (in the title bar) to Read Only is if it has been checked into the vault and ownership released. The status icon of the drawing in the vault still shows I have ownership even after a refresh. The only way to get control of the drawing again is to release ownership and then take ownership.

This only occurs if someone else has ownership of the attached PDF. If the PDF has no ownership or I take ownership there is no issue.

Daen

Kenneth Barrentine

WPDM

When viewing (extracting) a pdf (system generated) would be very helpful to have it named as Filename.Revision.pdf or Filename_Revision.pdf

The default format, Filename.slddrw.pdf is just plain funky!!!

Very time consuming to rename.

Kenneth Barrentine

WPDM

Add ability to "reload" a drawing.

Untitled.png

John Burrill

Well for one thing, the 'save and check in' command isn't available until you've shown the vault pane

Joseph Ankers

when you highlight a part either in the screen or on the solidworks Tree - It also highlights it in the PDM tree (it does this for assemblies but not parts!!)

most others people have mentioned, in the check in log the scroll menu is annoying!

There is loads ill update this as i remember.

Mark Athey

SW 2011 SP5.0 - WPDM

Can't rename projects in vault - have to create new, change project, delete old

Can't select multiple projects to give user access -or- giving parent project access should have option to give access to all sub-projects - have to chose project, give permission, apply, next project - i started creating groups, but that's a pain in itself.

Project name and description - name should be default on everything, and perhaps "hover" will show description - (if a user has project descriptions displayed, and asks me to add user X to "ABC" project, but thats really the description, I have to go thru each project to read the descriptions) When i create the projects, I make the name and description the same, but others don't always do it that way.

Kenneth Barrentine

need ability to "find" a file and "replace" the file with another in vault.

Daen Hendrickson

Ken's Find/Replace functionality would be hugely helpful in reworking libraries.

We have two libraries: The newbie poorly-thought-out first attempt and the current newer-better-faster-streamlined second attempt. The first attempt is still around because some large projects in the vault point to it. The effort to update those early projects to use the current library is daunting and we never seem to have idle hands waiting to take it on.

A streamlined Find/Replace type function would make a task like this feasible.

Daen

Sammy Redshaw

Hitting enter will check files in no matter what it very annoying.

also the check in filed table screen is too small

Eric Nothnagel

WPDM

1. There's a toolbar button to save and check-in the active document, but none to take ownership of the active document. This means more mouse clicks to check things out. Maybe add this take ownership button?

Daen Hendrickson

I would like to see a RMC menu option to "Open Local" version. The vault view shows a great nested layout of the project. Often times I find myself using the vault view to locate the file I want to work on, then launching the file/open command in SW and typing/scrolling/searching for that local file on my hard drive. This would be a file that I am actively working on / have ownership of / etc.

The "Open Local" option might just launch the File/Open dialog and pre-select or pre-enter the file name that you RMCed in the vault view.

Daen

Shakeel Ali

can you folks help guide to the correct place to learn PDM. I'm new to this forum and to PDM and would like to get started with the basics. thank you all

George Arf

In EPDM, the preview is availiable to measure, however my measurements come up in mm when almost all our parts are in inches.

• The document templates the parts were created with are in inches.

I cannot figure how to toggle the preview between mm / inch

Daen Hendrickson

I would like to see much more flexibility in the reporting capabilities. Currently the Reporting button gives a very ridgid format with limitations noted above. I would like to see some reports that give some statistics on the vault. I understand that these types of things are geared to databases and that PDMW is NOT a database. But I can still wish.

I would like to know how many files (of what type) are in a project or collection of project folders. Just giving me a count of everything under a single chosen top level is not sufficient. But more than that, I want to be able to find out how many Part Files reached revision C in a given projects collection. Or how many PDFs are attached to SLDDRW files at revision "-". Or any number of combinations.

Daen

John Burrill

Couple little hiccups

1) In a drawing, I would like to have the context and file menu commands for 'get write access/make read-only and reaload'

2) when I select a part in a drawing view, I would like for the vault view to center on that part

3)I would like it if the vault-view-when centering on a selected part-would stay scrolled to the left margin of the view instead of going to the center of the page-like this:

vault_view_centering.PNG

4) When I start solidworks and open a file from my harddrive, despite the fact that I'm automatically logged into my vault, the 'Save and Check-in' command is not available until I select the vault view in the task pane

5) I've hot-keyed Save and check-in in the keyboard customization, but a good percentage of the time, solidworks doesn't respond to the hot-key-sequence (CTRL+SHIFT+ALT+S)

6) In the administrator, I have populated the 'Allow Check-in' radio control for standard library components and toolbox parts.  I use a 1 part per configuration toolbox deployment but my toolbox fasteners still don't check into the vault.

7)I would like to have the same right-click options for the vault search results that I have for the vault view right-click menu

vault_vs_search_rmb_menus.png

8)It would be helpful if the 'Browse Vault' dialog box (accessed through the soldiworks file open dialog) had some search capability

9)the Export from vault functionality in Solidworks Task Scheduler doesn't allow me to select individual files

export_from_vault.PNG

10) Finally, it would be useful if I could check-in multiple documents (non-Solidworks) at the same time. 

Those are the things that popped into my head.  I've filed enhancement requests for most of them.

John

Daen Hendrickson

John's suggestions are all good ones.

#3 is a notable annoyance and always adds extra clicks to drag the pan bar back to the left.

#7: Related to the vault search window, the drop down list for Scope / Search only children of... needs to be widened or auto adjust so you can more easily pick what you want out of the vault tree.The listing also seems to jump around a bit with mouse movement. Creates sort of a moving target.

It would also be great if you could Ctrl-Select multiple parents to be included in the search.

It would also be nice if the criteria could be editable instead of a delete and replace. Either directly click and edit in the criteria window or repopulate the definition area with the existing criteria you have selected below and REPLACE instead of adding to.

#8: I always forget this functionality is here. I just tried it out and I noticed the file selection window has to repopulate from scratch each time. It took several seconds. Significantly slower than the task manager vault view.

Daen

Joseph Ankers

Not sure if this is already covered.

Previews to be higher quaility! just generally!

But Being Able to View JPG Via PDM especilly if your are viewing the vault though the Explorer - you can view JPG but its just about the worst image ever.

PDM is supposed to be Product data management. i dont thing being able to hand JPG's (or any picture file bar PDF) is to much.