7 Replies Latest reply on May 22, 2006 12:09 AM by

How to make Nylon ATV Canopy over this frame?

I didn't notice that either. There is no way to add a guide curve using lofted bends to make the shape you desire. In your case there is a program called BlankWorks that will give you a flat pattern of just about any shape. I few years back I did an ATV in SolidWorks (you can see it on javelin technologies home page) and I used blankworks for to get the flat for the windshield. If this is a one time only thing I would download the trial or find out if your local VAR sells blankworks and have them flatten for you. If you do this kind of thing all the time then blankworks may be a solution for you.

Ken Maren
      Muderlak Design
      www.muderlakdesign.com
        • How to make Nylon ATV Canopy over this frame?
          I just can't figure out how to make a thin surface go from the side, rear rounded edge to the front pointed edge smoothly.
          Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
          Thanks!!!
          Jim
            It looks as if it could be done with sheet metal using the lofted bends technique

Ken Maren
            Muderlak Design
            www.muderlakdesign.com
              Oops. I may have spoke too soon.

I just noticed that when viewing from the side view that my bendable poles are curved and that the sheet metal part seems to be flat. So I'm not sure if this will work now.

Jim
                I was able to open it using SW viewer 06'. It sure looks like what I'd like to do but obviously the viewer doesnt really show me anything about how it was made. So I'll have to research the sheet metal lofted bends technique.

Where you able to make that part actually fit my drawing dimensions? It looks like I could almost just drop it right in! (other than the 06' problem)

Any other help is always appreciated.

Thanks again.

Jim
                  Ken,
                  Thanks so much for the reply. I couldnt wait to open the attachment you made but unfortunately I'm still using SW 05' and it wouldnt open due to a future version error. Any chance you can think of a workaround...? (Other than me having to buy SW 06" right now!)
                  Thanks again!
                  Jim
                    Hello,
                    Can someone help me figure out how to make "nylon" canopy for this ATV canopy frame? I used the e-draw markup lines to show its basic shape. I looked at the SW help and it looked to me like it might be a loft with some kind of tangent properties. I'd be happy to send the assy files to someone if just doing it is easier than trying to explain it to me. I've just never even done a loft before...
                    THANKS!
                    Jim
                    STL MO USA
                      Thanks again for the info Ken. I actually got a fairly good canapoy just using an extrude with a taper and then adding a few cuts and chamfers. Unfortunately I had an angle wrong so when I went to put it back on the ATV model the sides were not parallel with the ground so I'll have to try all over again. I only need it to show potential investors so a cludge like this may work fine. If not I'll try the Blankworks as you suggested.
                      Thanks!
                      Jim