3 Replies Latest reply on May 3, 2012 12:41 PM by Ben Richie

Automatic state change upon checkout

Ben Richie

I need to find a way to perform a state change from 'CUSTOMER REVIEW" back to "DESIGN" upon receiving feedback from the customer after the initial design has been completed. Is there a way to accomplish this? Right now, due to a lack of discipline, the engineers are forgetting to transition back to design after feedback is received and will make the required changes while in the "CUSTOMER REVIEW" state. The importnace of this is that we can have up to 10 projects running and EPDM has been helpful in showing where those projects are at in their development...only if the designer/engineer changes the state.

Any help would be appreciated.

• Re: Automatic state change upon checkout
          Ravi Teja

Hi Ben,

A simpler way would be to remove "checkout" Right on "Customer review" State. This way user will be forced to Change the state first ,before making any changes.

Regards

Ravi T

Tim Read

Hi Ben,

Actually, there is an active discussion on this very topic. I don't think you can do it on Checkout but you can on Checkin... which is more useful anyway.

https://forum.solidworks.com/message/289090#289090

Ben Richie

Thanks for the feedback thus far. I knew about the solution that Ravi provided, but thought there was possibly another solution that I had not come across yet. So as there is nothing else yet, I took Ravi's suggestion and implemented it this morning. I have already faced the moans and groans of some.

Tim, I have been keeping up on the thread you have provided. But for my solution, I want to force a state change back to design after feedback from a customer or after the initial prototype build, upon CHECKOUT. We have been using EPDM for about 3 months now and many of the engineering forget to transition back to the design phase when there is a significant change to a design. They will make the change in the same state as it was last in..."CUSTOMER REVIEW" or even "RELEASED FOR PROTOTYPE BUILD". And this could be potentially problematic.

Thanks for the input. I really appreciate it.