2 Replies Latest reply on May 20, 2012 7:55 AM by irmeli rehbein

G3 Blend surfaces and curves

irmeli rehbein

up to 2009 we had the add-in geometryworks to get true G3 blend curves and G3 blend surfaces.

but mold makers could not edit these solidworks files (couldn't roll back or delete feature past a geometryworks feature) if they did not have the pug-in.

so we had to remodel things without GWX

i truly wish solidworks would finally take surfacing more seriously. i'm sorry but the splines in solidworks are no match to the blend curves and surfaces in GWX.

often i cannot achieve a curvature continuous  loft, boundry or patch surface in SWX, when in geometryworks it was no problem (with the same parasolid kernel!)

also the quality of the SWX surface is often horrible compared to GWX when looking at the false color curvature shading.

i don't get it - if a small plug-in maker can do this with the same parasolid kernel, why can't SWX do it? or like we suggested years ago, just buy the company and integrate it into the base package - because this should not be plug-in features..darn at 1000$ rhino gives me more control over surfaces.

it's not 1988 anymore guys.

best

irmeli

GWX

GWX_1.JPG

SWX

SWX_1.JPG

• Re: G3 Blend surfaces and curves
          Jerry Steiger

Irmeli,

Hear! Hear!

Jerry Steiger

• Re: G3 Blend surfaces and curves
              irmeli rehbein

just an update:

i guess i remodeled that part about 20 times. i find it's often best not to model just half of it and then mirror it. the curvatures won't flow nicely over the mirror plane, even if i model surfaces on the mirror plane and tell the other surfaces to be either curvature continuous to these surfaces or normal to the sketches.

i also sometimes create a driving sketch cosisting of multiple sketches and instead of using a compound curve to make surfaces of it, i use 'fit spline'. that gives me one relativley clean curve to make my surfaces with. when knitting these surfaces i then sometimes have to merge gaps, as the fit spline is not 100% accurate..but it's sometimes the better solution.

zebra_3.JPG