10 Replies Latest reply on May 1, 2012 4:48 PM by Monte Unruh

Command Manager On Startup

Monte Unruh

I am running SW 2012 SP2.  Every time I open it the command manager is open in the middle of the screen and the surface menu is open.  I rarely use either one so I have to close them each time.  How do I turn this off or keep SW from doing this?  thanks

• Re: Command Manager On Startup
          Deepak Gupta

Backup* your setting via Copy Setting Wizard. Then go to Tools > Options > And hit Reset all. This will set the toolbar and settings to default. Check if this helps.

OR

In an open file, set the toolbars/ CM as required and then save the file. Restart SolidWorks and check.

*Keeping a copy will help you to get back to your settings

Monte Unruh

That still does not do it. I wonder if it is something to do with having this CAM system add on HSM works loaded.  It runs inside SW.

Shaun Mc Donald

This happens to me also in 2012. Very annoying.

John Sweeney

Hi Guys,

I'm having trouble picturing what you're talking about.  Are you refering to the "Command Manager" toolbar in a floating state?  By "surfaces menu" are you refering to the surfaces tab on the Command Manager?

Can someone post an image of what you see when SolidWorks starts up?

Thanks,

John

Monte Unruh

Here you go.  Yes, I think you are understanding correctly.  When I uncheck the command manager so it is not floating on my screen then the surfacing tools appear and I have to uncheck them also.  See screenshots.

John Sweeney

Hi Monte,

I'm able to reproduce the problem... To work around it, you can dock the Command Manager and THEN turn it off.  The issue is related to our logic to restore the floating toolbar state yet obey the fact that you turned the entire CommandMgr off.  I'm not sure if this has always been broken, or if it is a recent regression, but my apologies.  We should have caught this one.

To dock the Command Manager, simply drag its window header and drop it on the top-most target icon which appears during the drag.

With regard to the side affect you see with the "Surface Toolbar" showing itself upon turning OFF the CommandMgr.  This happens because your Command Manager has the "Surface" tab turned on.  So, when you turn OFF the Command Manager we conveniently turn on any toolbar that was represented in the Command Manager.  This is by design and our reasoning is that you have laid out the Command Manager with the desired tabs.  Since each tab represents a physical toolbar when you turn off the Command Manager, we "conveniently" show those same toolbars individually.  Not so convenient in your case. ;-)

As an aside, the Command Manager shown in your image is floating and in "auto collapse" mode (which is why we only see the window header in your image).  It is also resized to be very wide.  I'm not sure if you intend for it to be in this mode or not... Most users keep it visible when floating. You can do this by clicking the "auto collapse" icon in the top right corner of the Command Manager window header.  In addition, most users tend to work with the Command Manager in a docked position along the top edge of the SolidWorks application.  You can get this mode by dragging the Command Manager header and dropping it on the top most target icon.

Regardless, our entire user interface should remember your settings on the next startup, so let me know if the steps above don't work.  I will get a bug written up to address the issue.

Best Regards,

John

John Sweeney

SPR for the issue is 650911.

Best Regards,

John