4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 26, 2012 6:49 PM by Chris Offenburger

Helix sweep problem

Chris Offenburger

I am trying to create a scaled model of a drum. The bottom of the drum is 6in on one side and 8in on the other and there is a smooth angled path to connect the two sides. I tried replicating this by creating a helix around half of the base to the height that I need. This works but it keeps going past where I want it to stop, because the full sketched area follows the helix. For the first half I was able to just cut away the unwanted part, but when I did the second half the swept pattern merged into the first half and can not figure out a wat to remove it. I wanted to just cut through to the surface of the first sweep, but since it is now merged I can not do that. Does anyone know how I can fix this or an easier way to accomplish this task? Im going to try to attach a screenshot of what I am working with.

• Re: Helix sweep problem
          Troy Peterson

On your Helix change the Revolutions to .5

Chris Offenburger

I have done that. I want a buffer of area that is just flat on the highest and lowest sections. After my calculations I used a revolution of .482.

helix specs.png

The problem is coming from the sketch. I want the sweep to be solid from the sketch up with the helix as an upper boundary.

sweep sketch.png

The dashed blue line on the left winds up where the solid blue line is on the right. The other edge of the sketch finishes where I want it to and is completely solid like the first half shown in the helix picture. It just has the extra material from the sweep. I wish I could just make another helix, box the area in and say fill this area with material.

Troy Peterson

Without seeing the model it is a little difficult visualizing what you are trying to do. Are you able to post the model? If not, can you post a simplified version of just the section that is giving you the issue?

If I understand what you are trying to do, have you tried to do a loft between the two surfaces you want to connect with guide curves to influence the shape?