3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 26, 2012 10:21 AM by Jim Pietrovito

Card Editor doesn't work over VPN

Jonathan Gamble

I am going through the process of setting up our vault.  As everyone who has ever done it knows, designing the File, Folder, Template and Search cards is a real pain and takes forever.  For this reason, I wanted to do some work from home.  We have a VPN connection, which works well except for the Card Editor.  I can run Solidworks without problems, and I have access to the vault, so I can view files, check them out, edit in SW, and check back in. EPDM Administration also works; I can log into the vault and edit lists, variables, workflow etc etc, BUT when I try to open the card editor, nothing happens.  The icon appears in the task manager, and there are no errors in the log file, but the editor window won't open.  Everything works fine when I am physically in the office and logged directly into the network.  The only difference I can see is the VPN.

Has anyone had similar problems?  Does anyone have any suggestions as to the cause and/or solution??  Our IT support group is looking into it, and we have a call into Solidworks, but I just wanted to see if anyone out there could help....

• Re: Card Editor doesn't work over VPN
          Jim Pietrovito

Hi Jonathan,

Do you run multiple screens while at work? I've noticed the if I have the card editor last open on my secondary screen and then try to open it without a multi screen enviornment, it opens but is still located in the secondary screen workspace.

• Re: Card Editor doesn't work over VPN
              Jonathan Gamble

Jim,

You're a genius!!  Yes I do use a second monitor at work. I just tried over the VPN with a second monitor,and it works!  It took a couple of attempts however because the second monitor has to be configured exactly the same i.e. if it was originally on the left, it has to be on the left; not duplicated or on the right.

I am kicking myself because I originally suspected a monitor issue.  I run the second monitor in the office using a ViDock housing an Nvida Quadro card (which incedentaly works really well) because the integrated graphics on my laptop is not Solidworks approved.  So I tested running the card editor in the office on the laptop screen only.  When that worked, I assumed that it wasn't due to the monitor.

So many many thanks for solving the problem.  You beat out both our IT support and our VAR.