3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 25, 2012 1:34 PM by Anthony Macke

FLAT VIEW NORMAL-TO FLATTENED SURFACE....

Anthony Macke

ok, this has been bugging me. There HAS to be a better way to do this, and I'm hoping someone here has an idea...

first pic is just a picture of the part i am referring to.

Capture.PNG

The ONLY way i can get a flat view in the drawing that is actually normal-to the flat surface is to go back into the model, go to the specified configurations flat pattern, click the surface, look normal-to, go back to the drawing and insert a model view with the "current view" selection.

f.y.i. this part has 6 different configurations created through a design table, since the part has 6 different sizes that can be made, so in turn the drawing has 6 tabs. and i have many of these parts that I am needing to modify. which is why im looking for a faster way to do it. this was MUCH simpler when my part was a full half circle, because the top view was actually normal-to the flat surface when flattened. but my change requires trimming each end of the plate so that there is a gap where the 2 halves meet. (see image below)

Capture.PNG

it just seems that there should be a much simpler way to insert a flat pattern that is normal-to the flat surface.

Capture.PNGCapture.PNG

selecting the "flat pattern" option still doesnt give me a normal-to view in my drawing.

• Re: FLAT VIEW NORMAL-TO FLATTENED SURFACE....
          Glenn Schroeder

Anthony,

I'm not familiar with working with sheet metal, but have you tried this:  Insert a drawing view of the part, RMB on the drawing view, choose Drawing Views > Relative View.  That will take you to the part file where you can select a front and right face (or use the drop-downs for bottom, left, etc.) for a new drawing view.

• Re: FLAT VIEW NORMAL-TO FLATTENED SURFACE....
            Wayne Tiffany

What I normally do in a case where the geometry isn't oriented as I wish for the drawing, is in the model orient it the way that I want and then create an Orientation View named For Drawing or something like that.  Then use that one in the drawing.  Simple and stays there.

The down side is that some of the time that I use this, it's for parts that are coming out of a coal chute and I may change the shape of the chute to change the way the coal flows through it.  Then that set up orientation will have to be updated.

WT