10 11 12 13 14 196 Replies Latest reply on Jun 22, 2016 12:40 PM by Tom Gagnon Go to original post
      • 180. Re: Sometimes… It’s the little things
        Ryan McVay

From your description you are looking for a "lock" on the property inside a note or as a standalone note? This lock would be the indicator to the system to NOT update that specific property. Would this be correct?

• 181. Re: Sometimes… It’s the little things
          Daen Hendrickson

SW2011 SP3 on WinXP,

Can't copy/paste drawing sketched entity "Additional Parameter" information to/from clipboard. I.E., I can't copy and paste one line's endpoint locations to another to have them match.

Yes, I know I can use a coincident mate but there are situations where I may want to have this capability. A Window's application that doesn't allow copy and paste...

Daen

• 182. Re: Sometimes… It’s the little things
            Dwight Livingston

Ryan McVay wrote:

Can you export the assy out as a monolithic parasolid and then import parasolid back into a new part...then start your hack-n-slash operations? This is a question not a recommendation...I honestly don't know if this can be done or not.

Ryan

I expect one could do it. However, I need to retain the parametric history, so that wouldn't work for me.

Dwight

• 183. Re: Sometimes… It’s the little things
              Dwight Livingston

Ryan McVay wrote:

From your description you are looking for a "lock" on the property inside a note or as a standalone note? This lock would be the indicator to the system to NOT update that specific property. Would this be correct?

Ryan

Not that. As the program stands now, if you create a text link in a drawing note, and the text link contains a property name that exists as both a custom property (CP) and a configuration specifc property (CSP), then the value of the CSP will be used. I would like to be able to control which value I get.

• 184. Re: Sometimes… It’s the little things
                Dwight Livingston

Another one, for decals. So I have my decal all adjusted and looking good, but I forgot a little detail and have to Photoshop it a little. Now when I browse and apply the revised image, I lose all my mapping. Please don't wipe that out.

Thanks

Dwight

• 185. Re: Sometimes… It’s the little things
                  John Stoltzfus

A lot of good things happened since 2012   Also a lot of changes

One of the little things for me - would be the ability to have the Assembly Visualization have more than 5 columns, like an excel spreadsheet, almost unlimited.

• 186. Re: Sometimes… It’s the little things
                    Alin Vargatu

Center dimension adds the diameter symbol automatically to revolved solid features but not to revolved surface features.

• 187. Re: Sometimes… It’s the little things
                      Don Van Zile

John, thanks for noticing even though there is still much to do. It's implied, but this thread is still being followed.

• 188. Re: Sometimes… It’s the little things
                        Scott Casale

2016 has these new breadcrumbs, I know.

But, Keyboard shortcuts - my saving grace from shifting my visual focus.

From a Planes, Sketches, the rebuild button to toggling Part or Top Level Annotations, all a keyboard shortcut for me.

• 189. Re: Sometimes… It’s the little things

I don't understand why Solidworks stopped allowing Enter for "OK", and Escape for "Cancel" in a sketch.

They still work that way when a PropertyManager is active, but some time since 2010, they have stopped working in a sketch.

They haven't been co-opted to do something else, something useful; they don't do anything.

So the two mouse buttons I have used for Enter and Escape for two decades are now useless half the time.

By way of compensation, I can now hit "D" (which means I can no longer use that shortcut for "Dimension") and then mouse a reduced distance to the shifted Confirmation Corner, then click on the tick or cross.

So instead of one action (a side button on the mouse) I have to do three different things in sequence: a keystroke, an accurate mouse move, and a mouse-click. And for the privilege of that regression I have to pay for three years subscription I never used.

Does anyone else feel they're being led around like a poodle at a show? It's like having compulsory "improvements" to the controls of your car. Suddenly, "for your convenience", the wiper controls are on the left except when you're in top gear.

• 190. Re: Sometimes… It’s the little things
                            Brian McEwen

I have always found Escape and Enter to be unsatisfying in SolidWorks. They are inconsistent so I never really figured em out.

Sometimes Escape cancels a command/tool, and sometimes it completes the action. So I sometimes loose work when using it at the wrong time. 

Enter - I thought it has been this way for a while - in sketches it repeats a command, no? I don't know what else it does.  

""Does anyone else feel they're being led around like a poodle at a show?"" Hmmm, no not really  

• 191. Re: Sometimes… It’s the little things
                              Randal Swearingen

I would love to be able to set the default radius when creating the initial base flange in sheet metal.

• 192. Re: Sometimes… It’s the little things
                                Glenn Schroeder

Brian McEwen wrote:

I have always found Escape and Enter to be unsatisfying in SolidWorks. They are inconsistent so I never really figured em out.

Sometimes Escape cancels a command/tool, and sometimes it completes the action. So I sometimes loose work when using it at the wrong time.

Enter - I thought it has been this way for a while - in sketches it repeats a command, no? I don't know what else it does.

""Does anyone else feel they're being led around like a poodle at a show?"" Hmmm, no not really

I agree about not feeling like I'm being led around like a poodle, but when does Escape complete an action?  I don't remember running into that situation.

• 193. Re: Sometimes… It’s the little things
                                  John Stoltzfus

Does anyone else feel they're being led around like a poodle at a show?

lol - No but some days I'm feel like I'm a tree at the dog show......

• 194. Re: Sometimes… It’s the little things
                                    Tom Gagnon

I apologize for not reading thirteen pages of replies, if this idea has already been suggested.

Consider a gasket, seal, or o-ring. It's faces can be very enclosed, but visible in section view. An onion would be a fair example as well.

In an assembly, when in Section View, I would like to be able to select a part from its Sectioned cut "face" which is not actually a proper surface nor face, not just its outer exposed faces. Sometimes there's other parts around it to obscure faces from selection, and I'd prefer not to require hiding other parts around it just to expose a face. Isolate doesn't help if I can't select the part in the first place. Most often, to me, the purpose of selecting a part in this context is so that my Design Tree scrolls to that part so I can expand it and view mates, select reference geometry, or such - without picking it out from the tree manually. Difficult naming conventions among many included parts can ambiguate manual selection from the tree.

This may or may not apply to parts displayed in Section View, as it may pertain to selection of solid bodies or features. It appears to perform similarly.

Thank you.

Edit: It appears that a section cut face is actually a face, as you can select it and Measure or whatever. It just does not highlight the part in the tree.

10 11 12 13 14