2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 27, 2014 10:59 AM by Brian McEwen

AUTOMATIC NUMBERS FOR PARTS AND SUB-ASSEMBLIES,HOW DO YOU HANDLE THIS?

Ravi Teja

Hi,

I am trying to implement EPDM Here and wanted to assign Serial numbers for Parts and Sub -Assemblies.

Parts may be Solidworks Parts or Dwg Drawings

Sub assemblies can be .sldasms or dwgs.

My plan is to create a folder for parts and another folder for sub assemblies.

Main assembly will be stored in the projects folder.

But i think ,This is not so user friendly Solutions as user have to Spend some time to Figure out which files goes to which folder so that serial number can be assigned.

I have two serials.

AA-00001   For Part files and Dwgs

and

BB-00001  For assembly files and Dwgs

Folder Structure.png

How do you handle this in your company,Is this user friendly if you were using it?

This is not yet deployed so we are open to any amount of changes.

Regards

Ravi T

• Re: AUTOMATIC NUMBERS FOR PARTS AND SUB-ASSEMBLIES,HOW DO YOU HANDLE THIS?
          Eric Snyder

Ravi:

I am wondering the same thing. What did you end up doing?

• Re: AUTOMATIC NUMBERS FOR PARTS AND SUB-ASSEMBLIES,HOW DO YOU HANDLE THIS?
            Brian McEwen

There are many existing discussions about part numbering (also look on EngTips.com) - if your system is not set you may want to research that more.  One thought is you have 3 extra characters on the front that users have to type every time (eg AA-), is it worth it to distinguish between parts and assemblies this way? Having one system for both file types would reduce your complexity.

When you say "Dwg Drawings" do you mean AutoCAD format, or was that a generic use of the term - and you meant .slddrw? ...With AutoCAD you wouldn't be able to sort by file type to distinguish between part and assembly. I assume the "Parts" and "Sub Assemblies" folders are for stuff that is reused across projects. 

We actually put the Part Number and a short description in our file names (eg 33140 - Bracket, Fan.sldprt), and I like that system - with or without PDM.

We generally don't have different folders for parts and assemblies. But that could work too. We break things up by sub assembly - so a specific drill sub assy folder has that .sldasm file and all the parts in that sub assy.

It may help to talk to your users, and see what they are used to and what they would like. If you have a consistent and well thought out system then most likely they will get used to it, but it takes time.