8 Replies Latest reply on Apr 20, 2012 2:34 PM by Mark Kaiser

Some suggestions for general selection issues

Dan Riffell

Over the past week I have been working with a bear of a file.  It is an imported .stp file that had multiple subassemblies, so SolidWorks forgets it has brains and generally doesn't work properly.  As a workaround I saved the file as a multibody part so I can do what I need to do.  This created a part with ~5100 bodies - a mix of both solid and surface bodies with each body listed as a feature in the feature manager.  OK, admittedly this isn't the best case scenario, but I could at least get work done without committing hare-kiri with my pen.  Luckily my goal wasn't to edit the model (too much), I just needed to make a decent final render of it.

Along my tortuous way I noticed a few things that are unnecessary annoyances with how things are selected in the SolidWorks interface.  These may or may not be "fixable", and they are certainly not deal-breakers:

1.  It would be nice if you could select a group of objects from the display manager and perform the usual operations from there.  For example, suppose you have an appearance applied to 50 random bodies.  Now you want to Hide/Suppress/Otherwise Alter those bodies.  You can exapnd the appearance, select the bodies below it which highlights the objects in the viewport, but all of the RT Click functionality is gone.

2.  If you click on the Bodies (Solid or Surface) Folder at the top of the FM it would be nice to have the ability to Hide All or Show All.

3.  If you select the part name at the top of the FM it would be nice to have the ability to Suppress All or Unsuppress All.

4.  When a group of objects is selected performing one operation should not deselect them.  Suppose you randomly select 250 bodies in the viewport which takes ~15 minutes.  Now you double-click the appearance you want to apply to those random bodies.  Next you want to Hide or Suppress them.  Guess what?  There's no way to reselect those 250 bodies except through the viewport.

5.  Move to Existing Folder should be listed in the RT Click menu.  This would be a lot faster than dragging and dropping for FMs that have a bazillion features.

6.  A Features selection filter would be nice.  Not sure exactly how often that would get used, though.

7.  The Freeze Bar is a nice enhancement.  When it is moved to somewhere in the middle of the FM you can RT Click it and select Roll to Top.  Why is there no Roll to Bottom command?

8.  Ditto the above for the Rollup Bar.  Why is there a Roll to End command but no Roll to Top command?

9.  When you window-select a group of objects in the viewport and RT Click on one of the items after SW selects only the one that you RT Clicked on.  The RT Click should work for all of the objects that are window-selected.

These are just a few of the ones that I noticed this week.  Anyone else have any similar gripes?

OK, Jim, fire away.

• Re: Some suggestions for general selection issues
          Dwight Livingston

Dan Riffell wrote:

4.  When a group of objects is selected performing one operation should not deselect them.  Suppose you randomly select 250 bodies in the viewport which takes ~15 minutes.  Now you double-click the appearance you want to apply to those random bodies.  Next you want to Hide or Suppress them.  Guess what?  There's no way to reselect those 250 bodies except through the viewport.

Very useful.

5.  Move to Existing Folder should be listed in the RT Click menu.  This would be a lot faster than dragging and dropping for FMs that have a bazillion features.

Also very useful.

9.  When you window-select a group of objects in the viewport and RT Click on one of the items after SW selects only the one that you RT Clicked on.  The RT Click should work for all of the objects that are window-selected.

Again very useful.

Nothing against the others.

Mark Kaiser

Holy smokes, Batman! 

Can we see a screenshot of this amazing model?

Alin Vargatu

Dan Riffell wrote:

1.  It would be nice if you could select a group of objects from the display manager and perform the usual operations from there.  For example, suppose you have an appearance applied to 50 random bodies.  Now you want to Hide/Suppress/Otherwise Alter those bodies.  You can exapnd the appearance, select the bodies below it which highlights the objects in the viewport, but all of the RT Click functionality is gone.

1. Once the entities are selected via de DisplayManager, just RMB on the empty space in the Graphic Area.

2.  If you click on the Bodies (Solid or Surface) Folder at the top of the FM it would be nice to have the ability to Hide All or Show All.

2. That option exists. Just select the eyeglasses icon that pops up when you select the Solid Bodies (or Surface Bodies) folder.

3.  If you select the part name at the top of the FM it would be nice to have the ability to Suppress All or Unsuppress All.

3. Suppress all features?

4. As a workaround, you can temporary insert them in a folder. Select the folder and do things to it.

5. Nice ER!

6.  A Features selection filter would be nice.  Not sure exactly how often that would get used, though.

6. That already exists.

filter.jpg

7.  The Freeze Bar is a nice enhancement.  When it is moved to somewhere in the middle of the FM you can RT Click it and select Roll to Top.  Why is there no Roll to Bottom command?

7. That options exists. It is called Roll to End (Freeze All)

Roll to End.jpg

8.  Ditto the above for the Rollup Bar.  Why is there a Roll to End command but no Roll to Top command?

8. Read this article: CLICK HERE

9. Just RMB on the empty space in the Graphic Area.

Dan Riffell

Mark, here's a partial screenshot.

Screenshot.jpg

Alin, I'm not sure you understand what I'm asking.

Regarding #1, that works if you don't have the Freeze bar past that features in question.

Regarding #2, the option does not exist.  Suppose I have half of my bodies hidden, and I want to Hide or Show the rest?  No one-click solution.

Regarding #3, yes.

Regarding #4, I don't want a workaround.

Regarding #6, that is not what I'm asking.  I don't want to find features of a specific type.  I want to select a feature from the viewport.

Regarding #7, the options don't exist if the bar is in the middle of the FM.

Regarding #8, I know about the roll-to-feature options.  It's just that when you're somewhere in the middle of a 5100 feature FM it would be nice to RT Click on the bar without having to scroll all over Hell's creation.

Jim Wilkinson

Hi Dan,

A bunch of useful ideas. I just played around a bit and wanted to let you know of some workarounds, etc. I'll comment where I can.

1) You can actually do this. If you select them and use the RMB in the DisplayManager pane, it only gives you DisplayManager commands, but move out and RMB in the graphics area (or switch to the regular FM tree and RMB on one of the bodies in the folder or somewhere in the background of the FM tree not on an object) and it will give you the regular RMB menu.

2) There is a Hide or Show icon (not both at the same time) on the context toolbar at the top of the shortcut menu when you RMB on a body folder. It looks like if any of the bodies are shown, the option is Hide. If ALL of the bodies are hidden, then the option is Show. So, if you have a mixed of shown and hidden bodies and you want to show the hidden ones, RMB on the folder and first pick Hide and then do it again and pick Show. It would be nice if there were a mixture of shown and hidden bodies that we gave both the Show and Hide option at the same time.

9) The right click down does a selection (similar to doing a left click). This is useful in all sorts of interactions especially in that you don't have to first select something with the LMB and then RMB click to get the properties on it. So, to avoid it deselecting the other items, box select the items and then do a RMB click in "air" (the background of the graphics area) and it will not deselect the items.

Many of the others sound like useful suggestions.

I hope it helps,

Jim

Thanks,

Jim