1 Reply Latest reply on May 10, 2012 2:48 PM by Ray Egan

Anyone have experience with Village Instruments ViDock?

Ray Egan

The onboard graphics in my HP ProBook are at the low end of the food chain for running SolidWorks, but I need to keep it on a notebook and I would rather not replace mine right now. I found a product called ViDock from Village Instruments that allows you to use a full size professional graphics card connected through the ExpressCard slot. The only reviews I have found so far are gaming related. Does anyone here have any experience with this product?

Thanks in advance.

Ray

• Re: Anyone have experience with Village Instruments ViDock?
          Ray Egan

Since I was not getting any answers to my question on the ViDock I decided to just take the plunge and buy one.

There are three different models: ViDock 3, for half-length cards that consume up to 75W and get all of their power from the PCI Express connector; ViDock 4, for full-length cards that consume up to 150W and use a single 6-pin power connector; and ViDock 4 Plus, for full-length cards that consume up to 225W and use 2 6-pin power connectors.

I found a good deal on an Nvidia Quadro 2000D so I bought the ViDock 3 to minimize my losses in case nothing worked as advertised.

Since Village Instruments is in China one of my first concerns was customer support. That concern disappeared rather quickly as I received an email from their customer support later on the day I made the purchase thanking me for the order and letting me know that they would send a tracking number as soon as it shipped. Three days later another email with the tracking number. I had two questions during installation and both of those were answered within 1 day.

The installation instructions tell you to install the card in the ViDock, connect the power, connect your monitor and insert the ExpressCard connector with the laptop powered off. When I did this my computer would not even start up. Since the ExpressCard spec calls for devices to be hot-pluggable and hot-swappable I decided to power up the laptop and then insert the ExpressCard connector. My computer recognized it instantly and loaded the required drivers. Then I went to the SolidWorks site and downloaded the correct driver for my software/card combination.

How does it work? ABSOLUTELY PERFECTLY!!!

Since I won a Quadro 4000 at the user group meeting last night this one will be going home and I will be ordering the 4 or 4 Plus for the office.