9 Replies Latest reply on Apr 21, 2012 11:46 AM by Kelvin Lamport

Notes disappearing

Demitri Duwadi

In assembelies I need to label buildings and i'm using notes. Sometimes when I ctrl + z to undo, they all disappear. Sometimes when I hit escape, they all disappear, sometimes when I breath to heavily, they all disappear. I recenty opened an old project I was working on where I had to re-do the notes a zillion times cause they kept disappearing and bam, my screen was full of so many notes it made everything lag like crazy. Is it just Solidworks? Or is there some option that I need to have checked? I went into the annotations folder on the tree and selected every "visible" option.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• Re: Notes disappearing
          Demitri Duwadi

Also, is there a redo option? I can't say how many times I accidently undid an extra thing that I didn't mean to and had to re-do it all over again.

Demitri Duwadi

One last thing. Sometimes Solidworks won't even undo after I do something. Are there specific things that can't be undone? (for example, I added color to an assembely and it colored all the sub assembelies the same, so I tried to un-do it and it wouldn't change, so I had to close the model without saving to return it to its previous configuration.)

Scott McFadden

Demitri,

Yes, there is a redo command.  Also when you are undoing there is a drop down arrow that you can select specific items to undo.

As far as the notes?  Not sure.  What version and service pack are you running?

Demitri Duwadi

Do you have to activate the redo command so it's available at all in Solidworks? Cause mine only shows an undo button and even when I press ctrl + y it never has redone anything.

Yeah I usually just quickly press ctrl + z to undo a few things when it happens since it's faster, but I guess if I have to i'll start dropping and clicking.

I think I fixed the notes problem. I had everything starting to show when I fiddled around, including annotations and it made it super laggy, I found out how to hide all annotations though and only show notes. Thanks.

Scott McFadden

Did you see the link I gave you in my last posting?

What version are you running?

If it is not there RC on the top tool bar and select "Customize"  then go to the commands tab.

Under the standard toolbar where you will see the file open and such there should be the redo command.

Select it and drag it to your active toolbar.

Demitri Duwadi

Yeah, I checked it. So you can only un-do / re-do specific things, I guess and I have to keep closing / not saving to get back to a previous version of my assy's? Seems a bit odd that un-doing / re-doing doesn't work all the time...they should really fix that, maybe at least in premium?

I'm running premium 2012

I don't really need it on a toolbar, i'm fine with ctrl + y / ctrl + z, but like I said i've never had re-do work, ever and un-do only works sometimes. Re-do is bound to ctrl y, so I don't know why it has never worked for me. I've used Solidworks since I was a Freshmen in HS.

Jim Wilkinson

Please note that Redo is not generally available across the system. The undo toolbar button that is is available through Tools, Customize, Commands, Standard can only Redo sketch commands. That fact is documented in the help topic that Scott linked to as well as this help topic:

http://help.solidworks.com/2012/English/solidworks/sldworks/hid_edit_redo.htm

There are also redo functions within individual commands (in which case the redo button is within the PropertyManager or dialog for the command itself), but there is not a general redo functionality across the whole system.

Thanks,

Jim

Demitri Duwadi

So basically if I want to re-do or undo something and it's not available, I have to contiue with the way i've been doing it? (Closing the assembelie without saving, so it goes back to its original format?) I don't really need it on the tool bar since I usually use Ctrl + z and Ctrl + y, but like I said i've never had redo work in Solidworks. I even checked to make sure it was bound within Solidworks. I mean, I guess it's fine, I was just hoping that'd i'd be able to un-do / re-do anything, since closing and re-opening the huge assembelies i'm working on just to un-do / re-do something takes a while and is pretty annoying when it's just something small.

Will they make it possible to re-do / un-do anything in the future? Seems like a pretty important thing to fix.

Kelvin Lamport

... I added color to an assembely and it colored all the sub assembelies the same, so I tried to un-do it and it wouldn't change, so I had to close the model without saving to return it to its previous configuration.)

Instead of closing and re-opening, select the Show Display Pane (double chevron icon) in the Feature Manager, right-click in the pane and use the Clear All Top Level Overrides option, or individually right-click a sub-assy and use the Clear Overide option.