AnsweredAssumed Answered

Upgrading 2011 SP3 to SP5

Question asked by Alex Nelson on Apr 19, 2012

I'm having an issue getting Solidworks 2011 SP5 installed on an XP 64-bit PC that already has 2011 SP3 installed.

We've installed explorer with the following commandline and after that you can see the similar command I'm trying to use for the SP5 install.  The SP5 explorer install is working fine as a fresh install, but fails with error 1638 (another version already installed) when trying to run it as an upgrade.  Is there an undocumented upgrade property I can specify or do I need to uninstall the SP3 version before installing the SP5 version. 

Along the same lines, the  UPGRADESWINSTALL= property for Solidworks doesn't sound like it will do what I need...upgrading from 2011 SP3 to 2011 SP5.

"Specify this property only when installing a new major release while there is a prior major release currently installed. Do not specify this property when upgrading from one Service Pack release to another within the same major release."  It's sounding like my best bet is to uninstall SP3 before the SP5 install here too.

What am I missing?

SP3

Explorer

msiexec /i "SolidWorks Explorer.msi" EXPLORERORPDM=0 ACTIVSERIALNUMBER="XXXX" /qn REBOOT=ReallySuppress

Solidworks

msiexec /i "SolidWorks.Msi"  INSTALLDIR="C:\Program Files\SolidWorks 2011" SOLIDWORKSSERIALNUMBER="XXXX" OFFICEOPTION=3 ENABLEPERFORMANCE=0 INSTALLWDS=0 ADDLOCAL=All SERVERLIST=27017@neen-lic-011 UPGRADESWINSTALL=0 /qn

SP5

Explorer

msiexec /i "SolidWorks Explorer.msi" EXPLORERORPDM=0 ACTIVSERIALNUMBER="XXXX" /qn REBOOT=ReallySuppress

Solidworks

msiexec /i "SolidWorks.Msi"  INSTALLDIR="C:\Program Files\SolidWorks 2011" SOLIDWORKSSERIALNUMBER="XXXX" OFFICEOPTION=3 ENABLEPERFORMANCE=0 INSTALLWDS=0 ADDLOCAL=All SERVERLIST=27017@neen-lic-011 UPGRADESWINSTALL=1 /qn

Outcomes