2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 19, 2012 3:35 AM by Tim Read

Choosing a Good PDM Software.

James Blevins

My company is trying to find a good PDM software and we are considering one from SolidWorks but we have yet to hear back from our reseller on a demo. Is the one offered from SolidWorks a good choice and if so which one cause I noticed they have three?

• Re: Choosing a Good PDM Software.
          Corey Hinman

There are a lot of ways to answer this question, but you need to ask yourself a few:

1- What are your requirements?

2- What is budget?

3- What are your technology plans and how do they link to a potential PDM system

These are just a few of many....but from my experience with both Workgroup and Enterprise systems my preference would be Enterprise.

1- More functionality

2- More flexibility

3- Tighter control, including items that are not CAD items.

But again it depends on your user pool, budget, etc.

• Re: Choosing a Good PDM Software.
            Tim Read

I have used a few different PDM solutions and I would recommend Enterprise.

That said - the ONLY way to get a good PDM system is to FULLY understand your requirements and the capabilities of the PDM software. I cannot stress enough about understanding the software - whichever you choose. Get some training then install the software and use it, configure it, re-configure it, test it, test it again, re-configure..... it helps so you must budget plenty of time before defining your final configuration.

Enterprise PDM can be an excellent tool but if it is badly configured then it will be a nightmare - but the same goes for all the other PDM software out there.