12 Replies Latest reply on Sep 16, 2014 3:01 PM by Keith Frankie

Sketch origin and model origin

Elias Chavez

How to align a sketch origin w/ the model origin?

• Re: Sketch origin and model origin
          Glenn Schroeder

I'm not sure what you mean by sketch origin, but while in your sketch you should be able to select any point in your sketch and the model origin, while holding down the Ctrl button, and add a coincident relation.

Elias Chavez

From the help file:

"The model origin appears in gray and represents the (0,0,0) coordinate of the model. When a sketch is active, a sketch origin appears in red and represents the (0,0,0) coordinate of the sketch. Dimensions and relations can be added to the model origin, but not to a sketch origin."

"

The Sketch Origin

• The sketch origin  is displayed in red in the active sketch. Use the sketch origin to help you understand the coordinates of the sketch that you are working on.

• Every sketch in the part has its own origin, so there usually are multiple sketch origins in a part. When a sketch is open, you cannot turn off the display of its origin. You cannot dimension to, or add relations to a sketch origin; you can add dimensions and relations to the model origin only.

• Keep in mind that the sketch origin and the model origin, which appears in gray, are not one and the same.

Now. The question is about: some times when you copy and paste the sketch from another part to reuse it on a different part to make a feature the sketch origin lands on a different place than the model origin, this is not a problem just wondering if there is a way to align them. Thanks.

Glenn Schroeder

That's all new info to me, I must have them turned off so they don't show.  Why not just fully define your sketch by adding dimensions or relations between your sketch entities and your model origin (or planes) and don't worry about the sketch origin?

Scott McFadden

Elias,

If you are doing from one sketch to another it is all about the origin of the inserted sketch.

I response to your question what you are describing I have not ever (that I can remember) had an issue with.

My planes were always strategically placed in the middel of the csys and everything constrained off of these points.

Do you have a different scenario?

Elias Chavez

The 'scene' is standard and this "issue" is not a problem as described earlier its just that when you paste a sketch lets say from a library feature for example the sketch origin does not coincide with the model origin.

Jeremy Feist

no, it isn't - I believe it ends up where you click (or at least it seems that way when I have done this). and I like this flexibility.

if you always want a sketch to line up with the origin, I would add a sketch point and make it coincindent to the origin (or use a sketch end point, if it is convient). and dimension from that.

then when you add the sketch to a new plane/face/part, you should only need to add one relation.

Jeremy Feist

the sketch origin (0,0) is automatically at the projection of the model origin on the sketch plane.

Roland Schwarz

My simple solution is to NEVER rely on something as ephemeral as a sketch origin to constrain my sketches.  Most of my sketches start with construction lines constrained to primary datum planes, and then the rest of the sketch constrained to those.

Keith Frankie

The entire sketch (including sketch origin) can be moved using the 'tools' -> 'sketch tools' -> 'modify' command.  This could be used to align the sketch origin with the model origin.

I may have used this once.  I'd agree with the general sentiment of this thread that the sketch origin shouldn't be an important element in your sketch, so moving it shouldn't really ever be necessary.