6 Replies Latest reply on Apr 17, 2012 5:24 AM by Mel Ivey

Database activation problem

Willem Lammers

Every time I try to instal my student kit it first loads for a while to check te serial.

After a while it says:

''Serial numbers cannot be verified because of a temporary activation database problem. Try again later, or continue installation without product entitlement information. You will still be able to choose the products you want to install, but you will not be able to download any installation files. If you continue without downloading enabled, you will need to provide a complete set of download source files or a DVD from which to install.

Click Back to check the serial number you entered or enter a new serial number. If you continue without a validated serial number, the Installation Manager will not pre-select the products to which you are entitled.''

I was wondering if this realy is a temporary problem, because I've seen it for the last few days now.

Or if there maybe something wrong with my serial code, but that would be strange because I've just recieved an E-mail that says my serial code is valid until december this year.

• Re: Database activation problem
          Mel Ivey

Same for me, since first trying the install on the afternoon of 13 April (GMT -8). Did everyone go on holiday?

Willem Lammers

Could be, there is nothing to find about it on any solidworks blogsite.

Mel Ivey

Willem, have you had success yet?

I was having no luck with the installation earlier today. Now the download seems to be working, despite the same error message showing itself. Whether the installation files (5GB downloading now) will work later is not yet known to me.

But let me tell you what I did to prepare for a better experience.

It may be important to know that I had recently uninstalled SW2010student in preparation for this 2011 version install. It turns out that Solidworks does a poor job of uninstalling everything that was part of the SW environment on my computer. So I had to start cleaning things up myself.

0. Backup the Registry.

1a. Uninstall Inspirtech's program. Is this necessary? I don't know, but it seemed prudent as part of removing all references to SolidWorks.

1b. Elsewhere on this site I found a batch file meant to help clean up prior SW installs. The script removes some SolidWorks directories and registry entries. I updated it for 2011 and modified it for Win 7, including pointing to the 'Users' directory in place of 'Documents and Settings' and accommodating 'Program File' changes. Lastly I made some cosmetic changes for better control and feedback while it runs. You'll find the modified batch file later in this posting as well as attached as a .zip file. I ran it under cmd.exe run as administrator.

2. The free utility 'Ccleaner' turned out to be of assistance. I had it check for Registry problems once step #1 was complete. I went through the list of possible issues that it surfaced, and checkmarked for removal (under Ccleaner) every entry that referred to SolidWorks and its DOS-shortened equivalents. Of possible note was identification and removal of Firewall rules. BTW, I had Ccleaner do another registry backup as part of its process. Oh -- press the 'Fix' button after making all the checkmarks.

3. Reboot

4. Re-run setup. I chose 'Download only' instead of individual installation, in order to have files available locally to re-run if necessary later. I entered the serial number given me. I noted that after steps 1 through 3 above, I was no longer having to overwrite the 2010 serial number that apparently was still embedded somewhere. The same error message as both of us have seen was given to me, but I chose to press 'Next' anyway to continue to 'choose' what to install even if install files were not being downloaded. But surprise surprise surprise: the download has commenced -- 5GB worth.

---

As I do not yet know whether what is being downloaded has any positive effect on eventual software installation, and because of variation from system to system, I couldn't guarantee even myself that this procedure would work again. And you may find that you can start with Step 4...

By the way, prior to steps 1 and 2, I had gone into my appdata directory and started removing SolidWorks references and files. But I now do not think that gave any advantage over simply running the batch file. Of course that may be irrelevant to you, if your computer had never seen the likes of SolidWorks.

Batch file 'Cleaner.bat' starts with first 'echo' command below.

echo off

echo ..
                  echo ..
                  echo ..
                  echo ..
                  echo ..
                  echo ..
                  echo This will silently uninstall SolidWorks, remove the SolidWorks directory,
                  echo and clean the Windows registry. Review, edit, remove or comment out (REM)
                  echo entries as needed. NOTE: Run the Copy Settings Wizard and back up all
                  echo SolidWorks configuration files before running this batch file.
                  echo ..
                  echo Press any key to continue or CTRL-C to cancel
                  echo ..
                  pause
                  echo ..

echo ==========================================================
                  echo Remove the SolidWorks directory
                  echo NOTE: This should point to the SolidWorks install directory.
                  echo All customized documents (formats, etc.) should not be kept
                  echo in this directory. Place them on the network and use
                  echo Tools\Options\File Locations to point to the customized documents.
                  echo ..
                  pause
                  echo ..

rmdir /s "c:\program files\SolidWorks"
                  rmdir /s "c:\program files\SolidWorks Corp"
                  rmdir /s "c:\program files\common files\SolidWorks Shared"
                  rmdir /s "c:\program files\common files\SolidWorks Installation Manager"

rmdir /s "c:\program files (x86)\SolidWorks"
                  rmdir /s "c:\program files (x86)\SolidWorks Corp"
                  rmdir /s "c:\program files (x86)\common files\SolidWorks Shared"
                  rmdir /s "c:\program files (x86)\common files\SolidWorks Installation Manager"
                  rmdir /s "c:\program files (x86)\SolidWorksx86"

rmdir /s "c:\windows\SolidWorks"

rmdir /s "%APPDATA%\solidworks"
                  rmdir /s "%APPDATA%\solidworks 2007"
                  rmdir /s "%APPDATA%\solidworks 2008"
                  rmdir /s "%APPDATA%\solidworks 2009"
                  rmdir /s "%APPDATA%\solidworks 2010"
                  rmdir /s "%APPDATA%\solidworks 2011"
                  rem rmdir /s "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\SolidWorks"
                  rmdir /s "C:\Users\All Users\AppData\SolidWorks"

echo ==========================================================
                  echo Remove the SolidWorks Windows Registry keys.
                  echo NOTE: If mulitple versions of SolidWorks are installed on the same machine,
                  echo edit echo the reg file to add the desired SolidWorks version name.
                  echo ..
                  echo ..
                  pause
                  echo ..

reg DELETE HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Solidworks /f
                  reg DELETE HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\SRAC /f
                  reg DELETE HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\DesignSource /f
                  reg DELETE HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\GSSL /f
                  reg DELETE "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\SolidWorks BackOffice" /f
                  reg DELETE HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\SRAC /f

reg DELETE HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\SolidWorks\ /f
                  reg DELETE HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Srac /f
                  reg DELETE "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\SolidWorks Corporation" /f
                  reg DELETE "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\FLEXlm License Manager" /f

reg DELETE HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\SolidWorks /f
                  reg DELETE "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\SolidWorks Corporation" /f
                  reg DELETE "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\FLEXlm License Manager" /f

echo ..
                  echo Press any key to continue
                  echo ..
                  pause
                  echo ..

Batch file ends at last 'echo'.

Hope that you have had success already. But if not, let me know if the approach outlined above works for you. That doesn't make the procedure guaranteed, but it is additional evidence that it might work for others too.

Best.

MI (ITgreybeard)

Mel Ivey

Well, I'm still in a mystified state. Running the setup from the download looked exactly like before, though I continued to the installation of the example and help files etc. But early in the process, it asked me if I wanted to renew my license. I responded affirmatively, and was shown a signup form with name, address etc. On second thought, I cancelled that procedure, and instead clicked on the https link that the install screen was showing. Meanwhile the install of the example etc files was continuing.

The https link took me to a page on which I logged in (from last year's software login) and then allowed me to register the SW2011 and its serial number. Registration was successful, but I do not yet know about the future success of the software installation...

%-/

ITgreybeard

Mel Ivey

OK. I think it all came out OK for me in the end.

1. "Install" Solidworks by entering your serial number (yes it fails) but continuing to press 'Next' even without activation. Software is downloaded the first time you run 'setup', but you can run 'setup' again from the Documents/Solidworks Downloads/ directory.

2. Run Solidworks setup if you chose during setup to have sw downloaded but not 'installed'.

3. Run Solidworks. Agree to activate online and type in your info (name, address, etc). Assuming that your entered Serial Number from #1 above was in fact valid (and held in cache somewhere on your computer), then this process may in fact activate the software. It did for me.

How stupid/silly/convoluted is all that?